Drabble #1 (Part 2)

Drabble #1 (Part 2)

*5 months later*

"Katniss!" Annie came running to the table, heels clicking loudly on the cafeteria floors.

"Calm down," Katniss said as Annie plopped down beside Johanna. "What's up?"

"Maysilee's back," Annie panted, clutching at her chest. "And she's with Peeta."

"What?" Katniss immediately dropped her spoon.

5 months ago, Katniss had caught Peeta lying to her about his whereabouts and who he was with. Angry, Katniss decided to punish both Peeta and Maysilee. Peeta for lying, and Maysilee for wanting Peeta so bad. But the plan to punish Maysilee completely backfired on Katniss and her friends when Katniss accidentally threw in a firework and didn't know Maysilee was inside. She only realized when the cabin burst into flames. Later, Maysilee was brought to the burn clinic in the Capitol, and the police investigated for the culprit. Katniss admitted to Peeta what she had done after he came to her house and they had a huge fight. Peeta had broken up with Katniss and told her that he didn't want a criminal as a girlfriend.

Now Maysilee was back.

"Peeta is with her?" Madge asked. "What do you mean?"

"I mean that I saw Peeta helping Maysilee out practically the whole day," Annie replied. "I-oh, crap."

Katniss turned her head and saw Peeta leading Maysilee into the cafeteria. She looked fine, but her eyes were covered by a huge pair of sunglasses. The crowd basically split when the two passed. Katniss's hands curled into fists as she watched Peeta help Maysilee sit down with her friends. He then looked up and his impossibly blue eyes met Katniss's. Katniss held his gaze, letting a flicker of emotions play over her features. Everyone seemed to notice that Katniss and Peeta were having a stare-off. The entire cafeteria fell silent. The whispers and chatter stopped as everyone held their breaths. Katniss let out a gust of air escape from her parted lips when Peeta walked towards her. He stopped before her and she stood up. His hand came up and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Can we, uh, talk?" Peeta asked softly.

Katniss stared into his eyes for a moment.

"Yeah."

Peeta led Katniss out of the cafeteria and they stopped by a row of lockers. Peeta whirled around and he fidgeted. Katniss folded her arms.

"Maysilee's back." Peeta began awkwardly.

"I know." Katniss said.

"Look, I'm sorry for what I said that day," Peeta said, stepping closer to Katniss. "I never meant any of it."

"Did you wait 5 months to say that?" Katniss asked.

"I just.. I saw Maysilee today and I remembered all the stupid things I said to you," Peeta continued. "I'm sorry I lied to you, and I'm sorry you had to find out what I did through notes and not through me."

Peeta took a deep breath and resumed speaking.

"I'm sorry for all the mean things I said before we broke up," Peeta said. "I really am sorry, and.. I love you."

Katniss's heart clenched. Oh, she loved him too, dearly, but what he said to her completely destroyed her. She became emotionally distant from everyone when he left her, and 5 months later, he decided to apologize?

"I know you probably won't be able to forgive me, not now, not ever," Peeta laughed blandly. "But I just wanted you to know that."

Peeta slowly backed away and when Katniss made no move to stop him, he turned and walked away, his sneakers barely making any noise on the floor.

***
"So he said he loves you?" Johanna asked, leaning back in Katniss's bed.

Katniss sat on the floor, knees pulled to her chest. She had been crying the whole day after Peeta's confession. She ditched school and sat at the meadow, sobbing her heart out. She had no idea whether to forgive him or completely blow him off, so she finally consulted her friends.

"I think you should speak to him, Kat," Annie took Katniss's hand. "You should let him know you're thinking."

"What he said really hurt," Katniss explained. "It was so painful to hear him say those things."

"We're sure it was," Madge added. "But if you still love him and he still loves you, then what's the problem?"

Katniss moved to look up at Madge. Instead, she met a different pair of blue eyes. Peeta's window was directly across hers, and they would be able to communicate just through their windows. Now he was sitting on the seat on his window, his sketch pad in his lap and a pencil in his hand. He was staring at Katniss, eyes glazed over.

"You should talk to him." Johanna repeated.

Katniss shakily stood up and told her friends to wait for her. She walked up to Peeta's porch and knocked softly on the door. The door opened in a flash, narrowly missing her face.

Seeing Peeta's face made her burst into a fresh wave of tears. He grabbed her face and kissed her, tears and all. She wrapped her arms around his neck, holding him tightly as if he may disappear.

"I'm sorry." He chanted as he pulled back, leaning his forehead against hers.

Katniss shook her head.

"It's okay, stop apologizing." She whispered, pressing her lips against his gently.

"I love you," Peeta whispered back, nipping on her lips. "I love you so much, Katniss."

"I love you too."

🌙❄️☔️🌟
well i was out of inspiration so i finished it up with a drabble full of everlark. hope you guys like it!

i dont think i swore in this chapter. im fasting so i cant swear 😂

Peter, Paul and Mary 💫

-A 💙