Ch. 2 Finding Oxygen

When I returned home the following day, it was empty, aside from the regular staff running from room to room like tornadoes.

I walked up the spiral staircase in the middle the house. The walls were practically littered with staged pictures of my mother, father and I. Not a single real smile, absolutely no candid shots. That was my family. Those photographs expressed the Nathan family in more ways than words could describe; we were too stiff to enjoy one another's company unless we forced to for the sake of appearance.

The trudge up to my bedroom was familiar, each foot steady with every step up. I was still half expecting one of my parents to pop their heads out but it remained quiet, even as I dropped my bags in my room. My bed covers were done as always but now a little note sat on top of the blankets. I recognized my mother's block print instantly:

SWEETHEART, WE ARE SO GLAD YOU ARE HOME. UNFORTUNATELY, YOUR UNCLE RUDY INVITED US ON SAFARI THIS MONTH. WE KNOW HOW YOU HATE IT WHICH IS WHY WE DIDN'T WAIT. ANYWAY, AFTER THAT WE HAVE BUSINESS MEETINGS, SO THE SUMMER IS YOURS FOR THE TAKING.
HUGS AND KISSES. MOM AND DAD.

Well, that was great notice. My mind raced through vast emotions of anger and neglect, but those were my parents. As I said, they thought raising me until the start of high school was good enough.

Finally, I had it.

My brain reached out to an idea and snatched it up. Clothes were laid out and bags packed before my body actually understood my brain. If I wanted change and control, I would go to the only place that was as paradoxical as me. The beach. To the house lying in wait since I was young.

It was the one place my parents owned but never wanted to visit. I think they never wanted to go because the thought of family relaxation was less intoxicating to them than any alcoholic beverage they drank during their lucrative parties, therefore, it was useless. But now it would be mine for the next three months, mine alone.

What a tantalizing thought.

First came the four hour car ride. At least, I could look forward to catching up with my favorite songs.