Ch. 16 New Era

In all honesty, I wanted to see Marc so that he could tell me not to go. I mean, senior year was going to be great, doesn't mean I had to go through it in the city. A nice beach high school was something I'm sure I could deal with, my parents would freak but hey, at least they'd notice that I was actually miserable. 

As soon as I arrived at Marc's door I regretted it. He opened the door too quickly and I was lost in his eyes even sooner. His big smile was mesmerizing, no matter how long I was staring at him, I knew his smile was genuine. He didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around me and kiss my cheek. This was the beginning of everything. 

Sitting on his bed had some sort of different meaning now that I was thinking of planning on staying, I don't know why but it just seemed so much more fragile and out of bounds. Marc was too happy, he had that kind of face, everyone knew when he had something amazing he was hiding but unlike any normal circumstance he wasn't telling me what he was hiding. 

"What's up?" he asked casually flipping onto his stomach on the bed I was practically perching on. "Umm...well," I dragged out the words, somehow wanting him to read my mind, "I want to stay here for senior year," I sped through the sentence expecting to see his face burst from excitement, that is not at all what happened. When I turned my head to look at him I instantly regretted it, his smile was gone, his eyes had clouded over, and his face had drained of color. 

"You're what?"His words sounded so cold, cutting through my ears, down my throat. "I want to stay here this year, finish off strong," I said timidly like a scared child. "No, I heard you, but why?" He seemed so distraught.  

That's when it hit me, Marc wanted this to be a summer fling, that's all. 

I was so stupid.

 I had thought his feelings were so genuine but I was probably another victim of his summer escapades. That's why girls looked at me at what I thought was envy, it was pity, for me. He was the ultimate big bad wolf and I was Red Riding Hood. He had eaten me whole and I had no woodsman to save me. Instead, I did the only thing I thought I should do, I ran. 

Ran till I reached my house, packed my stuff in a hustle, and just bolted out the doors, the tears not yet comprehending the situation like my brain had.