Chapter 3 - Wanna Walk Together?

In the weeks that followed, my integration into the world of Karasuno High deepened, and my relationships with the members of the volleyball team continued to grow. As I watched their practices and games, I couldn't help but admire the dedication and teamwork that defined this group.

One sunny afternoon, after a particularly exhilarating practice, I find myself sitting on the gymnasium floor, next to the ever-enthusiastic Shouyou Hinata. His eyes sparkle with excitement as he talks about his passion for volleyball. "I love this game so much," he confesses with a grin.

I can't help but share in his excitement. "It's contagious, Hinata. Your passion for volleyball is truly inspiring."

Just then, Kageyama approaches, his presence has an air of curiosity.

"You really seem to enjoy volleyball," he observes.

I nod, my smile warm and genuine. "Absolutely. I love volleyball, I have for a long time. Plus I love the team dynamic of volleyball, every team is like a family."

"Yeah, it's not just a sport; it's a bond that goes beyond the court," Kageyama adds.

Hinata chimes in, "That's right! We're a team, and we look out for each other."

Over the course of the next few weeks, I spend more time with Hinata, Kageyama, and the rest of the team. But I find myself spending the most time with Kageyama, watching volleyball games on TV, sharing meals, and even playing Minecraft and Mario Kart together.  We discover common interests beyond volleyball, such as our love for video games and even similar tastes in music and books.

As time goes on, hanging out with the team, and hanging out with Kageyama, is a normal part of my day.

"Wanna walk together?" I ask Kageyama after practice.

"We walk together every day, why even ask at this point?" he rolls his eyes and chuckles.

I know we're neighbors but I definitely did not expect that. I try to hide my surprise and give him my brightest, happiest smile. "Fine, from now on I'll just assume we'll always walk home together."

Kageyama gives me a small smile before grabbing my hand and leading me out of the gym.

"See ya tomorrow," he says over his shoulder to the team.

We walk in complete silence. If it were anyone else I'd probably feel awkward, but with Kageyama, I feel weirdly calm. After about 15 mins we arrive in front of our houses, surprisingly he's still holding my hand.

Kageyama makes a facial expression I can't quite read before turning to face me. "Wanna watch the new episode of Jujutsu Kaisen?"

"Well duh." I tease him.

He drags me along to his front door and then to his living room.

"Hi, Mrs. Kageyama!" I greet his mom as I always do.

"Hello [y/n], are you guys hungry?" she asks.

"We're fine Mom," Kageyama replies after asking me.

This was normal for us, we'd walk to school together, eat lunch with Hinata, I'd watch their practice, Kageyama and I would walk home together, and we'd hang out at one of our houses before calling it a night.

As we watch TV, I get a notification from my phone.

-------------------------

bad bitches groupchat

kenma: [y/n]!! wya

[y/n]: wdym?

kenma: i thought we were all playing league today??

kuroo: I've been waiting for like 30 min get ur ass over here

[y/n]: oh shit

[y/n]: i forgot :(

[y/n]: sorry guys

kuroo: how could you D:

[y/n]: I'm sorrrryyyyyyy

kenma: idc if u forgot, just get on now

[y/n]: okayyyyy gimme 15

kenma: why so long?

[y/n]: I'm not home rn

kuroo: its like 11pm

kuroo: where the fuck r u

[y/n]: I'm with kageyama

kenma: who?

[y/n]: my new friend from karasuno, he's also my neighbor

kuroo: oh

kuroo: well hurry up

kenma has left the chat

[y/n]: leaving rn

[y/n] has left the chat

kuroo has left the chat

---------------------------

"Hey Kageyama, I gotta go. I totally forgot that I promised my friends we'd play league today." I explain as I gather my things.

"No problem, see you tomorrow." he waves as I head out the door to my own house.

Little did I know that Kageyama felt a sense of loneliness as soon as the door closed.