Chapter 6 - Arcade Adventures

On a nice Saturday morning, with a spontaneous spirit in the air, I shoot Kageyama a text about an idea for a day out. He responds quickly, already intrigued by the notion of adventure.

"Hey, Kageyama! How about we do something fun today?" I suggest.

"Sure thing! What did you have in mind?" he replies promptly.

"I was thinking of heading to the local arcade. I heard they have some awesome games there. Are you up for it?"

Without hesitation, Kageyama agrees, "Yeah, let's do it."

We meet up at my house a bit later and as we head to the arcade, anticipation hangs in the air. When we finally arrive I can tell that Kageyama is excited, which only makes the whole thing more enjoyable.

Between rounds of air hockey and intense racing games, Kageyama and I engage in lighthearted banter and laughter. The atmosphere at the arcade becomes an extension of our easygoing friendship.

"Watch out! I'm the air hockey champion," Kageyama boasts, a playful smirk on his face.

"Oh, really? I'd like to see you try!" I retort, the competitive spirit kicking in.

After an animated air hockey match, we move on to a racing simulation game. As we navigate virtual tracks and dodge obstacles, our laughter fills the arcade.

"I didn't know you were so competitive," Kageyama remarks, a genuine smile breaking through his usual seriousness.

"I guess the arcade brings out the best in everyone," I reply with a grin.

After spending hours exploring the different games, we decide to take a break and grab a bite to eat at a nearby café. The casual setting allows us to transition from the lively energy of the arcade to a more relaxed conversation.

Seated across from each other, we share stories about our interests, experiences, and dreams. Kageyama, usually reserved, opens up about his love for volleyball and the challenges he faces as a setter.

"Being a setter is tough. The pressure to make split-second decisions is always there," he confesses.

I nod in understanding, "I can imagine. But your dedication to the game is admirable. It shows in your skill on the court."

Kageyama appreciates the acknowledgment, and the conversation flows into lighter topics. We discuss our favorite foods, biggest aspirations, and even delve into our most embarrassing moments. It almost feels like a date...almost.

Kageyama's guarded demeanor softens, revealing a more genuine and approachable side. "I never thought hanging out at the arcade would be so much fun," he admits.

"Sometimes the simplest plans lead to the best moments," I reply, appreciating the simplicity of our day.

Yet, beneath the surface, I feel an unspoken tension. As Kageyama looks at me with warm eyes, I can't help but wonder just how close Kageyama and I would become.

As the sun begins to set, we decide to wrap up our day out. We walk home in a comfortable silence, and when we reach the sidewalk outside my house, Kageyama turns to me and says, "Thanks for today. It was surprisingly enjoyable."

I smile, "Likewise, Kageyama. It's nice getting to know the person behind the serious volleyball player."

As we part ways, I start to feel like maybe Miyagi won't be so lonely after all.

I make my way inside my house, greeting my parents as I head up to my room. Exhausted, I sprawl out on my bed and decide to catch up on some episodes of Spy X Family. As I watch Anya and her usual shenanigans, my mind wanders to thoughts of Kageyama. When I realize that I am not paying any attention to the show, I shut off my laptop and decide to call it a night.

Surprisingly, I was excited for school on Monday.