Chapter 8 - Game Night

The evening is filled with anticipation as me, Kageyama, and a few other friends arrive at Sugawara's house for a game night. Sugawara, known for his warm and welcoming personality, has prepared a cozy and inviting setting, complete with the comforting scent of homemade snacks and the soft glow of ambient lighting.

Of course, Kageyama and I came to Suga's together, and as we entered his house we noticed the other guests immediately. In the doorway is Hinata, who practically bounces with excitement when we arrive, Nishinoya the energetic monster is in the kitchen with our reliable captain Daichi. I see Asahi and Shimizu talking in the living room, while Tanaka swoons over Shimizu's beauty as usual. Tsukki and Yamaguchi are walking from the living room to the kitchen engaged in their own conversation. Sugawara, the gracious host, welcomes everyone with a warm smile and a tray of delectable snacks.

Once everyone has settled in, Kageyama, known for his competitive nature, suggests a challenging strategy game that he's particularly skilled at. The game board is set up, and as the competition begins, the room becomes filled with friendly banter, playful taunts, and strategical moves.

I can't help but laugh as the banter ensues. "Kageyama, are you sure you're not using your 'King of the Court' skills here?"

Kageyama grins, a rare sight on his face during a game. "I'm just giving you all a taste of what it's like to play against the best."

Hinata interjects with his trademark enthusiasm, "Well, you might be good, Kageyama, but you can't beat my ninja-like reflexes!"

Nishinoya, who's known for his acrobatic saves on the volleyball court, adds with a mischievous gleam in his eye, "I bet I can dodge your moves, Kageyama!"

As the game progresses, we dive into a spirited conversation about our first days at Karasuno High, reminiscing about the amusing incidents that took place on the volleyball court and in the classrooms.

Sugawara chuckles, "I still remember the time Hinata was so excited to be at Karasuno that he arrived an hour early on the first day of practice."

Hinata blushes but laughs along with the others, "Yeah, I was really eager to play!"

Daichi adds with a knowing smile, "And Nishinoya here made a dramatic entrance with a roll across the gym floor."

Nishinoya grins proudly, "Well, you've got to make an entrance, right?"

Kageyama, who's usually quite reserved, begins to open up during the game. His competitive spirit transforms into a playful banter, and he teases us with a grin. The atmosphere shifts from pure competition to a lighthearted exchange of challenges and laughter.

I share a personal story too, "On my first day, I got lost looking for the classroom, and Shimizu was kind enough to help me find my way."

Shimizu nods, her usually calm demeanor unfazed, "It was no trouble at all. I remember my first day, and it can be overwhelming."

Asahi, the gentle giant of Karasuno, shares his experiences as well, "I was so nervous about my role as an ace, I kept practicing my spikes even after practice ended."

Tsukishima, the team's resident skeptic, chimes in with a hint of sarcasm, "Ah, the glory days of high school."

Yamaguchi, Tsukishima's constant companion, adds with a smile, "We've come a long way since then, haven't we?"

The conversation flows freely, touching on various subjects, from the upcoming volleyball training camp to the quirks of our teachers. We discuss our favorite manga, movies, and music, discovering shared interests and preferences.

As we finish up the first game of the night I find myself looking over the impressive array of food in the kitchen.

Hinata, seeing my indecisive facial expressions, leans over to me with a mischievous glint in his eye. "Hey, [y/n], have you tried these? They're amazing!"

I follow his gaze to a bowl of homemade popcorn, seasoned to perfection. "I haven't yet, but they look delicious!"

Hinata immediately scoops a handful and offers it to me. "You've got to try them. Sugawara makes the best snacks."

As I take a bite, I can't help but smile. "You're right, these are amazing! I can see why you like them, Hinata."

He grins, his mouth full of popcorn, and gives a thumbs-up. "I'm a big fan of snacks, especially during games."

Nishinoya, who's been eavesdropping on our conversation, jumps in, "I'm with you, Hinata. Snacks make everything better."

Hinata nods enthusiastically, "Exactly! And they give us energy for our games!"

Hearing our conversation in the kitchen, Tanaka comes over to join in. "Are you guys talking about popcorn? That's one of my favorite things to eat during lunch, especially after a long boring lecture."

At the mention of long lectures, Nishinoya, Tanaka, and I start talking about our classes.

Nishinoya's face lights up with enthusiasm as he begins, "You know, I've never been a big fan of classes. They're just not as exciting as being on the court."

Tanaka nods, "Totally get what you mean, Nishinoya. I'm all about the practical stuff, but those lectures can be a drag."

I join in, "I actually enjoy some of my classes, especially English. It's fascinating to learn about different cultures and languages."

Nishinoya raises an eyebrow, "You like English class? That's surprising."

I chuckle, "Well, it's not just about the language. It's the way it opens up a world of possibilities."

Tanaka grins, "Maybe I should give it a shot. I could use some fun in my classes."

As the conversation flows, we bond over our shared experiences in our classes and in our struggles as 2nd years.

Over the course of the evening I find myself becoming even better friends with everyone on the team. From talking to Asahi about spiking forms, to chatting with Shimizu about the latest fashion trends, and even bonding with Tsukishima over our shared love of strawberry shortcake.

As the game night draws to a close, the games are forgotten, and we all share stories, laughter, and heartfelt conversations.