Chapter 5 - Coffee Date

After another spirited volleyball practice at Karasuno, the gym gradually empties out, leaving Sugawara, Shimizu, Kageyama, and me to gather our things. Sugawara, with a warm smile, suggests grabbing a snack together.

"Hey, how about we grab something to eat? I know a cozy place nearby."

"Sounds good to me! I could use a snack." I reply.

"Count me in. I could use a break too." Shimizu adds in.

"I should really practice my sets a bit more, you guys go ahead." Kageyama sighs.

I give Kageyama a questioning look which he answers with a small smile. After his look of reassurance, I feel better about leaving him to practice on his own.

The three of us say our goodbyes before heading to a local cafe, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee welcoming us. Finding a comfortable spot, we settle in for a casual chat.

"So, how's everything going for you, [y/n]? Getting used to life at Karasuno?" Suga asks me.

" It's been great, honestly. The team is amazing, and I'm really enjoying watching the practices." I smile.

" I'm glad you're settling in ok." Shimizu says.

"Speaking of settling in, if you ever need any tips or guidance, feel free to ask. Shimizu and I are here to help." Sugawara assures me.

"Really? That would be fantastic! I appreciate the offer." I knew the third years were dependable but Sugawara and Shimizu are even nicer than I could imagine.

As we chat, I learn more about Sugawara and Shimizu beyond the volleyball court. I learn that Shimizu has a passion for photography, and Sugawara talks about his love for cooking. I eventually open up about my love for video games, and the conversation flows from there.

"It's nice to have a balance between volleyball and other hobbies. Keeps things interesting." Shimizu mentions.

" Absolutely. We're not just teammates; we're all great friends." He adds.

"That's true. I would never have guessed you love photography, Shimizu!" I laugh.

"Well, I'm glad you know now, and feel free to call me Kiyoko." Shimizu laughs as well.

"I will, thanks." I smile at her.

"While I have you guys here, I wanna ask you something. Have either of you had trouble figuring out how you feel? I know I just got to Karasuno, but there are so many things that are different from my old school, and I'm not sure how to feel about it." I ask my senpai.

"High school can be tough, but it's also a time for growth and self-discovery. There are a lot of questions that are hard to answer, and usually, the answer is somewhere within yourself." Kiyoko advises.

"Challenges help shape us. They make us stronger. If you ever face anything, remember, we're here for you." Suga chimes in.

"Thanks, both of you. It means a lot. I'm lucky to have mentors like you on the team." Even though they didn't directly answer my question, they gave me insight that I can tell will be even more helpful.

The laughter and overall good vibes continue as we share stories, savor snacks, and enjoy the easygoing atmosphere.

"Oh goodness, it's already 9 pm." Kiyoko points out, breaking the warm atmosphere.

"What?!" I glance at my phone to check the time.

"I can't believe we didn't realize how late it was getting." Suga laughs.

"I had a lot of fun, thanks for inviting me." I say as I gather my things.

"Don't mention it, you're welcome to join us anytime [y/n]." Suga smiles.

"Yeah, you're our friend [y/n], we will always wanna see you." Kiyoko gives me a hug before heading out.

"I should get going too." I wave to Suga.

"Wait, I'll walk you home." Suga stops me.

"You don't have to do that, I don't live that far," I reassure him.

"Really I insist, I'm sure Kageyama would be upset if I left you to get home by yourself." He elbows me playfully.

"Why would Kageyama care?" I ask.

"I think you know [y/n]." Suga winks at me.

As we argue back and forth about what I do and do not know about Kageyama, Suga and I laugh all the way to my front door.

"Well, regardless of Kageyama, thanks for making sure I got home." I smile.

"Of course, a senpai's gotta look out for his juniors." He laughs before heading off towards his own house.

As I hurry to my room I get a notification from my phone.

----------------------------------------------

Private Chat with Kenma <3

kenma: wyd

[y/n]: just got home

[y/n]: hbu

kenma: just finished my 5th game of COD

kenma: how are you only getting home now?

[y/n]: went out with some of the 3rd years, just got back

kenma: did you have fun

[y/n]: yeah, I did :)

kenma: good good

[y/n]: so whats up

kenma: bored

[y/n]: text kuroo

kenma: nah

[y/n]: play more COD?

kenma: I've been playing for like 4 hours

[y/n]: play smth else then

kenma: don't feel like it

[y/n]: what if i play with u

kenma: depends on the game

[y/n]: Fortnite

kenma: no

[y/n]: league?

kenma: nah

[y/n]: valorant

kenma: hmm maybe?

[y/n]: its either valorant or GTA

kenma: ig valorant is fine

[y/n]: cool

[y/n]: logging on now

--------------------------------------------