XV. The Good In People

John 'Soap' Mactavish ~ 13:00

My finger taps on the desk impulsively, waiting for yet another call from Price to tell me what to do.

I tried focusing on some paperwork, but my mind couldn't stop wandering back to Alex. She hadn't come back at the time she was supposed to, and I'm slowly starting to get impatient.

It's not that I care about her safety. It's that I care about whether she's real or not.

"Johnny, get up," Simon barges in, his skull mask hiding the frown playing upon his face.

"Have you heard from her?" I ask, immediately straightening my back.

"-No," he grunts, clearly irritated. "I told you. She's not to be trusted."

"Price can track her, can't he?" I lean over my desk, folding my fingers into each other as I think of ways to contact her. "That shit wasn't just removable."

"Focus, Johnny. She's probably turning her whole base against us right now."

"She wouldn't," I try to protest, only to realize my point doesn't hold any ground.

"How do you know?"

I clench my teeth, wanting to defend her, to argue against Simon's suspicions. Yet, I'm aware that my faith in her feels fragile, and the more I try to justify it, the weaker my stance becomes. "Try to see the good in people sometimes, Si," I mutter, leaving my office before he can respond.

I'm not sure if Simon tries to come after me, but I don't look back to check. Knowing him and his opinion, he probably won't..

My footsteps echo through the hallway, a rapid rhythm fueled by urgency. I make my way to Price's office, my internal debate continuing to gnaw at me. I convince myself I don't care about her well-being, that she's just a loose end to be tied up. But in the depths of my conscience, doubts linger.

Could she actually betray us?

Had I been a fool to grant her this much freedom?

When I reach Price's door, I don't bother with formalities. I knock twice and then barge in, my eyes locking onto Price's stern countenance. The urgency of the situation allows for no pleasantries.

"Price, we need to find her," I demand, my voice firm and resolute. "Now."

Price leans back in his chair, steepling his fingers thoughtfully. "Soap, you know as well as I do that tracking her isn't that simple. She's crafty, and she's been trained to evade detection."

I grind my teeth, frustration building within me. "But we have to do something, Price. She's out there with information that could put us in danger."

Price studies me for a moment, his calculating gaze never wavering. "I've already started the investigation and I need you to be patient. Trust the process, Soap."

Trust the process?

My thoughts churn with uncertainty. Can I trust the woman who had infiltrated ranks with ease, outsmarted us once already, and who now holds secrets that could shatter our operation?

As I leave Price's office, the weight of uncertainty bears down on me. I can't help but wonder if I've made a grave mistake in granting her the freedom she now wields, or pushing Price to give her chance after chance.

My footsteps echo with a sense of urgency as I retrace my path through the corridors, my mind racing to find a solution to the ever-growing enigma of Alex.

I storm into the common room with the same fervor I had exhibited in Price's office. Inside, Keegan turns his head, a frown hidden behind the edge of his mask, much like Simon's.