XVII. A Blacked-Out Funeral

The clock ticks and I tap my feet at the same time as Price works on his computer.

"Do you mind if I go and see the others?" I mumble, sitting up a little straighter.

"Of course," he responds, his eyes never leaving the screen. "They were in the gym on the first floor, I believe."

"Thank you."

The door shuts behind me with a soft click, and once I'm outside of his office, I let out a deep sigh. Something inside of me didn't think he'd believe me like that, but I'm genuinely grateful that he does.

With slow, measured steps, I navigate the hallways of the facility. Doubt begins to creep in as I make my way toward the first floor and the gym where the others are likely gathered.

Will they still trust me after this? Soap, in particular, had put so much faith in me. I can't help but worry that I've compromised that trust with how the situation had played out.

I need them to believe that I'm still on their side, despite this insidious chip now embedded beneath my skin.

I push open the door to the gym and step inside. The atmosphere inside is tense, and the moment I enter, all eyes turn towards me. Soap, Ghost, Keegan, and the others all stop what they're doing and fix their gaze on me.

I put up my usual facade, wearing a cold, confident expression. It's an act I've perfected over the years, one that's helped me maintain my composure in the most challenging situations. But deep down, beneath this facade, I feel a knot of nervousness twisting in my stomach.

"Alex," Soap calls out, his voice somewhat surprised as he stands up from a bench. He walks toward me, his steps rather quick, but his expression gives away nothing. "Where have you been?"

I take a deep breath, steeling myself. "I had a... situation to deal with," I reply, my voice steady and detached. "But I'm back now."

Ghost and Keegan exchange a knowing look, and I can feel the weight of their unspoken questions. They know there's more going on, and I hope they can sense the urgency in my demeanor.

Soap doesn't press further, but I can see the skepticism in his eyes. He's always been the one to trust me the most, and I can't afford to lose that trust now.

"You been to Price already?" Ghost suddenly asks, his voice loud and gravely, cutting through the room's subdued chatter.

I nod, my response a simple "Yes."

From this distance, his eyes resemble black holes, the brown color replaced by nothing but voids. No more words pass between us, and his gaze shifts, settling back on Keegan, who also remains silent.

"I'm glad you're back," Soap says, pulling my attention away from the heavy silence. His hand briefly brushes my upper arm as he speaks. "Thought you were on your way to betraying us all," he adds, a playful glint in his eye.

My shoulders tense, but I manage to force a smile. "Never," I reply, the word carrying a hint of both humor and conviction.

"Come spar with me, Alex," Ace suddenly chimes in.

I smile genuinely, but then the memory of my recent ordeal resurfaces. "I'd love to, Ace, but something went down yesterday, and I'm not in the best shape right now. I'd rather just watch today."

Her brows furrow and her kind eyes reveal concern. "Okay, no worries. Next time, then," she says with a reassuring smile.

"Next time," I confirm with a smile of my own as I turn and head toward one of the benches near the gym's edge.