XIX. Aching Jaw

Three knocks and a long pause.

I've always hated that about him. The extensively long pause he intentionally lets play out once knocking on his door.

Honestly, at this point, I hate everything about the man. The way he breathes could send me into a fit of rage.

"Come in."

I tighten my facial muscles in anger just one more second before dropping the anger and covering it with a fake neutral expression. Pushing open the door, I'm greeted by the man who looks more and more like a living corpse with each second that passes.

"Sir," I offer him a polite nod.

He tips his chin up slowly. "Alex..."

God the way he says my fucking name makes me want to slam his head into the desk.

He doesn't blink as he continues. "I hope you've adapted to our new way of work. Have you?"

I don't break eye contact, intending to make myself look strong, durable. "Yes sir. I've realized the chips could be of help. Even for us."

Fuck no.

"Good," he says slowly, his icy tone sending shivers of hatred down my spine. "I was counting on you."

I nod instinctively. "I just had some... questions. If that is okay?"

He squints for a split second, his bony hands folding over one another on top of his desk. "I suppose."

I seize the opportunity, not letting his reluctance deter me. "Regarding the chip production, sir, I was wondering if you could shed some light on the timeline. What are the next steps, and when do you envision the project's completion?"

His sunken eyes seem to probe me for hidden motives, but I maintain my facade of curiosity.

He leans back in his chair, his skeletal fingers intertwining as if relishing the discomfort he's causing me. "We're on the cusp of something monumental. The chips will revolutionize not just warfare. Our work is classified, but I can tell you that the timeline is aggressive. We must move swiftly to stay ahead of those who would oppose us."

His cryptic response only fuels my curiosity further. "And the production facilities, sir? Are they operating at maximum capacity, or do we plan to expand them?"

Canmoore's eyes narrow slightly, as though he's weighing the implications of sharing more information. "Our current facilities are efficient, but expansion is indeed on the horizon. We will require additional resources to meet our objectives. Rest assured, you will be informed when necessary."

His willingness to share information intrigues me. "And what's the timeline for implementing them?"

He hesitates for a moment, then responds, "We're looking at a rapid approach, with the first ready batch expected within a month. If all goes well, we're looking at the next batch in... say three months."

I nod, absorbing the details, then continue with another question. "What about the development of new chip features or functionalities? Are there any projects underway to enhance their capabilities?"

His expression turns guarded, and he chooses his words carefully. "We're constantly exploring ways to improve the chips, but I can't divulge specific projects at this time."

"Nothing? I was just hoping I could maybe think of some ways to help improve them too."

"-Nothing."

I maintain a façade of compliance as I dig for more information. "And what about potential resistance or challenges, sir? Are there contingency plans in place?"