𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 • 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐚

Aspen and I arrive at Xander House almost twenty minutes late, thanks to the maps on our phones being unsynced and leading us in the wrong direction multiple times

Aspen and I arrive at Xander House almost twenty minutes late, thanks to the maps on our phones being unsynced and leading us in the wrong direction multiple times. But nonetheless, we make it in one piece, mostly.

The walk from our dorm to theirs wasn't too bad. I was mainly worried about having to walk across campus with the girl I accidentally just insulted straight to her face, but she didn't mention it even once. She did, however, give me the silent treatment the entire way here, even after I tried apologizing for what I said.

But alas, here we are, standing outside of the second-floor common room that took us way too long to find, waiting for Ambrose to let us in. It takes him only a few seconds to unlock the door for us and we walk in to the smell of taco meat and the presence of a stranger. Or at least a stranger to me.

"Theo?" Aspen says suddenly, grabbing the attention of who I can only assume is Ambrose's roommate.

"Oh, hey," the guy, Theo, says. "I didn't know you were the roommate."

"I could say the same for you," she smiles at him. Is it really that easy to get a smile from her? Why do I seem to be the only one she can't bear to smile at?

"You guys know each other?" Ambrose asks from the little kitchen tucked away in the corner.

"We just met today," Theo informs him as Aspen nods in confirmation. "We have a class together."

"Wait, that's crazy. What's your name?" Ambrose calls out.

"Aspen!" Aspen responds instantly. "And you are?"

"Ambrose," he responds with a grin in his tone. "Theo is my roommate, I don't know if Cara told you."

When I hear someone I just met today use my name, it feels so sweet. Usually, I'd have to be asked a couple of times what my name is to make sure they remember it, but Ambrose just has it on his mind already.

Oh, god, what if it's because he's interested in me? I know the way he invited Aspen and me to dinner was pretty nonchalant and friendly, but what if it was just a facade to hide his feelings?

Or what if I'm being way too self-centered right now and he really is just wanting to talk and make friends? Am I completely misreading the situation and making something out of nothing all because of what Aspen texted me? How could I be so egotistical? I'm not the kind of girl guys would meet once and then just fall in love with immediately after; I need to get over myself.

"So, what are you guys majoring in?" Theo asks as Aspen and I take a seat next to each other. It's funny that we'd usually rather sit anywhere else, but since she's the only other person I really know, and me her, there really isn't any other option.

"I'm a music major," Aspen explains with a small smirk. "Music Education, to be exact."

"Ah, hence the music theory class," he says, tapping his finger to his brain. "Makes sense. I'm an animation major but I'm minoring in Music and Culture."