𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨 • 𝐚𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐧

The first thing I notice about Cara when she walks into the room is how flushed her face is

The first thing I notice about Cara when she walks into the room is how flushed her face is. It wouldn't be so painfully obvious when she's blushing if it weren't for the fact that the millions of freckles covering her face always get much darker when her cheeks heat up, which I've always found both hilarious and intriguing.

The next thing I notice about her is her unsteady, uncertain stance as she awkwardly sets my jacket down on my desk. Sometimes Cara can be awkward—that's just who she is—but she never moves this sheepishly without a reason.

"Someone had a good time," I comment, watching as Cara's body stiffens, caught red-handed. I don't know what she thinks I'm talking about, but her face falls completely guilty. What happened?

"Yeah, it was nice," she laughs it off.

"Did you guys hook up this time or what?"

Cara gulps. No way.

"Wait, actually?"

"No!" she says immediately, forcing eye contact this time. "We didn't have sex, if that's what you're implying."

"You just looked so flustered—I figured it had something to do with that. That's how I was my first time."

"Oh, god, I don't need to hear about that."

I roll my eyes with a smile. "Well then what happened? You clearly did something more than last time."

"Yeah, we— we made out."

"Oh," I say, almost disappointed for her. "That's it?"

"Oh, shut up. We can't all be good at this kind of stuff, Greenwood."

"But you had such a good teacher!" I tease her, watching as she rolls her eyes and starts to take off her makeup. I've always seen it as so unfair that her bare face is just as pretty as her made-up face—if not more. It's not often you find someone with a face so symmetrical with all of the ideal proportions, absolutely covered in freckles. I never hear her complain about how she looks, so she must realize how effortlessly beautiful she objectively is, at least to some degree.

"God, that kills me," I say out loud, not realizing until it's already been said.

"What?" Cara asks. I stumble over my words trying to put together an excuse for blurting out something so random, but I just decide to go with the truth.

"I don't know how you have, like, the perfect face all the time. It's infuriating."

"What are you talking about?"

"Come on, Jasper, don't pretend like you don't know. You literally have the face of a celebrity."

"Thank you?" She responds warily as soon as she's taken off all of her makeup. "It's so weird to hear you compliment me."

"I'm jealous of you, not complimenting you," I tell her even though we both know I'm full of shit and she just chuckles.

"Yeah, okay. Whatever helps you sleep at night."