Chapter 3

The rain fell down on the window, it made the same hypnotic noise over and over without an end. I was sitting on the window shelf, looking at the blurry world outside. So this is how fish in a bowl saw everything, I thought. I'd been sitting there for so long that I didn't feel my butt anymore so I stood up, checking whether I still had it. Deciding to do a little research, I wandered around the house.

The first room I passed was Rebekah's. I looked inside, it was cleaner than my belly button with not one thing coloured pink. Rebekah must've been gone away without telling me, because she had been here a couple of minutes ago. I shrugged and while I was walking to the next room, I gave our old painting another, automatic glance. It showed us, the boys standing, me and Rebekah sitting on a chair in front, six vampires. Well, five and me, I didn't know what I was exactly.
I didn't need blood to survive, I could live on human food, I slept, in contrary to my siblings, I wasn't unnecessarily strong nor extraordinary beautiful, I was just not getting older. End of story. I wished that I was stronger though, that I was at least able to defend myself, then Elijah wouldn't freak out so much if I went somewhere alone, which according to me was never and according to him too often. The painting had been made around 1800, when a camera didn't exist yet, one of the few things we took with us whenever we moved.

I walked further and stood in front of Stefan's closed door. He didn't like to be disturbed, especially when his door didn't stand open, so I knocked. No answer. I knocked twice. Again no answer. I tried to open it but it was locked, which made me curious of the reason. The next door on my way was Klaus's. It was wide open, like usual, and showed a very messy room. Because I had nothing better to do, I snooped around, my scent was probably already all over his stuff from the day before yesterday. After a couple of minutes, and finding nothing, I hid some of his stuff, in his own room, out of boredom. I chose some things I had never seen before, one was a triangle with an eye on it, another was a portrait from a girl he had loved. The date was on the back, 1658. It was a cute heart shaped necklace that was easy to hid between his underwear, which I refused to touch with my hands. The last thing I hid was a beautiful key, it had curls all over it, at the top shelve behind his pants. I was curious whether he would even notice it missing.

My tour through the house wasn't over yet, I had two more rooms to search in, even though I wasn't exactly looking for something. Damon's room was next. It had been a long time since I had a sneak in there, I couldn't even remember how it looked. He liked his privacy a lot so the door was never open and I nor , I thought, the other siblings knew anything about his life outside the house. Sometimes I accidently heard him on the phone, the things he said made me think he had a girlfriend. I once asked him about it but he just said it wasn't my business and that I needed to stop eaves dropping, which I didn't. Damon has a very loud voice. Standing in front of his door, I got nervous. If Damon saw me doing this...His door was probably locked, but it still felt like I betrayed him by even feeling if it was open or not. I started to place my hand on the door when another hand grabbed my shoulder and turned me around.

'' What do you think you're doing?'' Damon asked. I didn't even try to look not guilty, I'm not that good of an actress. I just looked down to the floor and saw all the dirt on Damon's shoes. It looked like mud and blood.

''Where have you been?'' I asked, actually curious but also to distract him from the fact that I was doing the thing he hated most: invading his privacy.

''Don't try to-'' he started to say but I interrupted him.

''Don't you try, where have you been? There is blood on your shoes.'' He crossed his arms and looked annoyed.
"I am a vampire, when I drink, I sometimes-'' Damon was cut off by Elijah, who apparently had entered the house which I would've known if I had vampire hearing. Fuck my life.