7

I started punching and kicking against the invisible wall, trying to break it somehow even though it was impossible. But I couldn't stay in the house forever, I really couldn't. My hands started to throb and I knew they would swell later on but I didn't care. I kept hitting and hitting until Michael grabbed my arms and lifted me from the floor so I couldn't kick nor punch anymore. Instead, I aimed for him, I wanted to go away, to break free. The minute I realized he was the person who had the less say in all of this was him, I stopped and hung still in his arms.

He put me down and I looked at Elijah, hoping he'd see the hurt in my eyes. And then, I went upstairs, to my room. After an hour, I started to get hungry. It was nearly five thirty in the evening but my stomach thought it was seven 'o clock. Great. I looked at my door, not feeling like grabbing something. I walked to the door and put my ear against it. I could hear Elijah and Michael talking.
''Maybe if you'd tell-'' Michael started.
''No, I don't want her to know. I don't want her to worry about that kind of stuff, she needs to be as regular as can be, she needs a careless life like every average teenager. I know that's what she wants. '' Elijah replied.

''But she is not an average teenager. '' He was right. I wasn't. If Elijah wasn't going to tell me what I needed to know, I 'd figure it out on my own. A knock on the door surprised me and I ran back to my bed, taking a book so it looked like I was actually doing something.

''What?'' I asked. The door went open and Rebekah came in with a delicious meal. I literally already could taste it and cursed her for coming to me in human speed. She had closed the door behind her and set down the plate. I immediately started eating but didn't take my eyes off her.
''What do you want?''
''You know we love you, right?'' She said. This was not the good time to get sentimental and I even didn't like being sentimental when I was in the mood for it but I nodded.
''Good.'' She said, getting lost in her own thoughts. It wasn't until I finished my plate she started talking again. ''We asked a witch for the curtain. ''
''Curtain? '' I said.
''Yeah, well, they call it a curtain. ''
''I call it a wall that stands in the way of my life. '' I might exaggerated a little but it still wasn't fun to find out you'd be locked up.
Rebekah sighed.

''You don't need to be here all the time, it is just that when you're here, you won't sneak off like last time. '' ''So what? You're saying it is my fault? That all of it is my fault? That I got myself somehow in danger and god knows what that danger is?'' I started to get mad again. I had never ever wanted to bring myself in danger nor my siblings, I didn't want them to look out for me their whole life. They gave up so much.

''No, I'm not. No one is.'' She said reading my thoughts. I looked down at my blanket, I had spilled some sauce on the corner.

''But how do I get to school? I can't get through.'' I asked. My brain started working again , in a logical instead of emotional way.

''You need to touch one of us. Hold our hand, shoulder against shoulder and that kind of stuff. It doesn't matter how you do it, you just need to touch us. That way, we'll be able to decide when you go outside.''
''Which witch did this ?''
''Does it matter?'' Rebekah raised an eyebrow looked suspiciously at me.
''I don't know, I was just curious.'' I replied, finding it weird the way she had reacted.
''So,'' she said and started curling her hair around her finger.
''So,'' I pushed her to go further. She went to my bureau , took a piece of paper and pen and wrote something on it. I frowned, what was she doing? After a tenth of a second she was done and handed it over.

It said: When I came home one of the previous days, you smelled like wolf. What happened?

Confused, I took the pen out of her hands and wrote an answer. She read it and rolled her eyes.

I know you didn't get murdered. Please tell me, Elena. It is important.

I answered: It is none of your business.

She answered: It is now. You may not understand this but it is important that you tell me. Or else