Chapter 9

''This way.'' I turned and looked at the forest he was pointing to. The trees were close to each other, I looked left and right but it seemed to go on without an end.

''Are you afraid?''

''For what? Trees?'' I fixated my eyes on an oddly shaped tree so I wouldn't notice it when I entered and tried to avoid walking in a spider web. Some places had vines I needed to break in order to get through but sometimes, they were already snapped. Somebody must've been here before, taken the same road. I tried a couple of times to let him go first but when I slowed down, he did too. It made me nervous, walking in front of him, not knowing the way. He sometimes gave me short instructions, to move more the left or right but we were silent most of the time. It didn't feel awkward, it felt good. We listened to the noises of nature, the birds spreading their wings, water rushing over the ground, leaves in the wind. But after half an hour, he broke the silence.

''Now stop.'' Jake walked past me and pushed branches and green plants away. A gate appeared which went open with ease. He stepped over one of the roots in the middle of a pad behind the gate and gestured me to follow him. Out of curiosity, I did. The further we followed the path, the more civilized the environment became. We walked past the most beautiful garden I had ever seen, if it was a garden. It could be a park or something else, I wasn't sure. There was a small pond with fish and a tiny waterfall, bubbling and roaring, uninterrupted. It was a pattern of endless rhythm, the sound that makes you fall asleep when you're having trouble sleeping, a sound of nature that everybody likes. I felt a sudden jealousy rush through me, that he could come here whenever he wanted, away from everything. I was always being watched by someone, never alone and this place, it was mesmerizing. Sighing, I followed him further, into the woods. We let the small peaceful world behind and came to a beginning of another path, created partly by a human and partly by nature. The tree roots formed steps that led up the hill, the branches with their leaves formed a roof against the rain and the rocks on the sides gave you something to hold on. You could tell someone had cleared the path, took out all the weed and sharp pointed rocks that were too big to stand on. Another long walk until we were on top of it, looking over the city. Little lights were everywhere, like the city was one big living organism, which it actually was. Everything was connected to everything and everyone was connected to everyone. People might not realize it, nor had I. But I knew now. I looked at Jake, not seeing the wolf from my dream, but just Jake, human Jake.

''Who owns this place?'' I asked, looking back to the path we'd followed. He shrugged and kicked a little stone of the hill.

''I don't know.'' He looked at the city and sat down. ''I found it when I was running around, when the gate opened, I got curious and went further. That's how I came here for the first time. I've been visiting it ever since.''

''It's beautiful.'' I sat down next to him.
''It certainly is.'' Jake looked in my eyes but I turned my head.
''Have you ever asked why he was fighting my brother?'' I wanted to know what was happening, Elijah wouldn't fight without a reason.
''Yeah, I asked about it but he didn't give me a clear answer. All he said was that the vampire had accused him of something he didn't do. He also said it was none of my business and to not get involved with vampires.'' His face grew serious.
''Which made me wonder something else. How can you be human while your brother is a vampire? ''
I sighed. I had expected this to come but I didn't want to bore him with our past nor make me vulnerable by telling him things. I didn't know a thing about him and he didn't about me, until I trusted him enough, I'd tell him nothing.
''How do you know I'm human?''
He laughed.
''Then what are you? A troll?''
''Well thanks, I appreciate that.'' I couldn't feel insulted, even though I would've been if it hadn't been for him.
''I'm just a miracle, that's all. '' We both started laughing and forgot about the earlier subject. Half an hour later, my phone buzzed which interrupted our talk about our dreams. It was Willow.
''Hello?''
''Elena! Get your damn ass over here! What are you thinking, that Damon nor Stefan will notice it if they don't see you longer than an hour? They're already looking for you, I can make up an excuse for a quarter, but that's it. Another thing, have you guys already kissed?'' I rolled my eyes and Jake started laughing. Damn his werewolf hearing.
''I'll be back soon. I promise. Thank you for everything. '' I hung up and laid back down. Jake frowned.
''No offence, but I don't want to be attacked by your brothers because they think I kidnapped you.'' I smiled. ''You're right. They'd do that.'' I let out a long breath and stood up. We walked past the little pond and it made me wonder again who it belonged to. How can one let this place be, if it were mine, I'd be in it every day. Seeing the motor, my stomach started to feel odd. It wasn't out of nausea, I didn't feel sick on the previous ride. It was probably nothing. He handed me a helmet and we left to school again, the feeling in my stomach became even more present when we were riding and I was pressed against him, eyes closed. When we got off, I felt sadness but also normal again. I ran back to Willow and gave her a hug. She didn't hug me back but pushed me away.
''I'm not the sentimental type, I don't do hugs.''
''I don't care. It has been so long since I've been alone, doing what I want to do. It was amazing and without you, it wouldn't have been possible.''
''Yeah, yeah, now tell me about it.''