Chapter 1-10

Chapter 1

It was midsummer in July 1977.

Late at night, the Xu family of Taoyuan Production Brigade of Weizhuang Commune.

Xu Wen suffered from insomnia.

In the small and stuffy room, the sound of the family coughing, grinding teeth, and snoring came one after another, which brought Xu Wen to the verge of collapse.

The constant chirping of cicadas and frogs outside the window made her increasingly irritable and unable to sleep.

The cotton single shirt and pants she wore, which she could barely call pajamas, were soaked with sweat and clung to her body unbearably.

Xu Wen rolled over to the left and lay on his side. He reached behind his back and pulled off the clothes stuck to his back. Menchao's back felt a little looser, but his facial features suffered.

In this posture, you have to face your seventy-year-old grandma face to face.

My grandma has chronic bronchitis. Although she has not become a good doctor after being ill for a long time, she has developed the ability to survive rough breathing and coughing without losing sleep.

Grandma probably had phlegm in her throat, and she gasped with her mouth open. Her hot breath accompanied by unpleasant bad breath came towards Xu Wen's face, forcing her to turn over again and lie on her right side. Face to mother's back.

Mom's sleep was fine, she could only grind her teeth and talk a few words in her sleep, but the cadence of her father's snoring on her right made Xu Wen very upset.

A new curtain was added to Dad's right, and my brother and sister-in-law slept on the other side of the curtain.

My brother and sister-in-law are newly married. On this two-meter-long and three-meter-wide earthen bed where three generations of seven people have slept, if they want to do something unspeakable, they can only wait until the dead of night.

Such as now.

Xu Wen almost sighed in despair. He was afraid that his brother and sister-in-law would find him awake and the three of them would be embarrassed, so they didn't dare to move any more. They lay down straight and stared at the thatch roof that occasionally fell off soil in a daze until dawn.

Hearing the roosters crow in the village, Xu Wen climbed up lightly, washed briefly, rolled up and changed clothes, put them in the cross-body bag her mother made for her, and walked to the production team.

When the production team plows, cultivates, sows or even pulls the mill, animals are the most important labor force. Not only does it have a dedicated livestock shed, but two people are also assigned to raise and take care of them on weekdays.

The livestock shed is located in the southwest corner of the production team headquarters. It houses several donkeys, mules, horses, cattle, and dozens of sheep, which are used as needed during busy farming periods.

Xu Wen is not a breeder. She is a high school student. She came to earn money during the summer vacation and got a light job as a sheep herder.

One of the breeders is Xu Wen's second uncle.

The second uncle rubbed his eyes and took out the key to open the iron chain on the stable. He helped Xu Wen to push the sheep out, and yawned and asked her vaguely: "Ask, why are you going to herd the sheep so early? "

"It's cool in the morning, and the sheep eat happily. When the sun comes and they're full, I can follow them back to hide from the sun." Xu Wen took the sheep-driving whip from his second uncle and followed the sheep outside.