O38. 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐂𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃

𝐓 𝐇 𝐈 𝐑 𝐓 𝐘 - 𝐄 𝐈 𝐆 𝐇 𝐓

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THEY ALL MANAGED TO NOT END UP IN DETENTION. How they did it, Elodie will never know. The yule ball was steadily approaching. Elodie couldn't help but feel an uneasiness settling around her. Remus felt further away than ever. Orin even seemed to make himself scarce these days. Which was not helping either.

Elodie just had to go on with her day, hoping that something crazy and insane wouldn't happen. Because that's how her life seems to be nowadays. Since Penelope was nowhere to be found. Probably with George. Elodie was currently skipping the end of lunch to look in the library.

She decided to make a second attempt to look up her mother, but it was hard. What book would she even look for to find that information? Would Mum even be in any of these books? She gathers up her courage and decides to go ask Madam Pince.

"Um, Madam Pince? I have an... inquiry about a book."

The woman who was facing the other way turned around. Giving her a stern look. Maybe this was a bad idea... Madam Pince then gave an amused look, which was very odd. "What kind of book are you inquiring about?" Elodie shifts her weight before replying with, "Do we have books that talk about past students who participated in clubs or activities?"

Madam Pince raises an eyebrow. Looking around for a moment she then leans in and in a low tone says, "Are you inquiring about the secret society?" Elodie's eyes widen and she leans back. "There's a secret society?" She says louder than she intends to. Some students look up in confusion. Madam Pince narrows her eyes, "There is not." She then sighs. "I'm afraid, this conversation Ms..." Elodie adds, "Elodie Ashcombe." Madam Pince continues. "Ms. Ashcombe until the library is closed for the day."

Elodie's mouth drops open and is almost exasperated. "Well, when would that be?" Madam Pince who is now turned around again, focusing on some books replies, "5 o clock." Perfect, I'll head here after my last class and I could always skip dinner. "Alright, I'll be here, thank you, Madam Pince."

This probably won't tell me much about my mother. But a secret society at Hogwarts, how wicked is that?

_________

Finally potions class was over for the day. Elodie's last classes of the day didn't really drag on as much as they usually did. She even managed to get back into Professor Snape's good graces... she thinks. Eventually, she made her way back to the library as students were filling out.

"Ah Ms. Ashcombe, it seems you've made it." That is all Elodie heard as she walked into the seemingly abandoned library. The library doesn't close until curfew... Where was everyone going? The library is quiet. Eerily quiet. Elodie looks over to her left, then her right. No one.

"Madam Pince... What's going on? Where is everyone?" There's no answer. Maybe the library is closed and she shouldn't be here. Elodie then turns her head to look over to the front desk where Madam Pince usually stands. But it was too dark to see. The lamp at her desk is shut off. Something is wrong and she needs to get out of here now. "Uh, I guess I'll just get b-back to lunch."

"So dumb, so unsuspecting, this was way easier than I thought." That's not Madam Pence's voice, that's deeper. A male voice. Elodie is once again frozen in fear. "Who are you?" She asks while shaking in fear.

The man was silent but was slowly walking towards her. She can't make out a face yet. Then in a gust of courage, she pulls out her wand. Ready to face whatever is lurking in the dark. The person is silent for a little while longer. As if to keep her in suspense. She hears footsteps, as the shadowy figure walks out of the dark. "My name is Rebastian Lestrange." Elodie was silent and confused.

Who is this man and what does he want with me?

"And I've got great plans for you, my filthy mudblood niece." the man says, a wild smile appearing on his face. As he holds up a wand to her throat.