Chapter 22- Cloaked in Shadows and Secrecy

(Title taken from 'Warrior' by Beth Crowley)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Shelby's POV (3am)

Origin - Shadow Crawler

Dear Diary,

I had a really nice time yesterday. I still feel terrible about not remembering Scott and I's friendship anniversary. He says it's not my fault, but I... I remembered him vaguely, despite my memories being completely gone, or almost all gone, so why didn't I know about our anniversary? I suppose I can understand why... He was only familiar to me, and I vaguely knew his name; of course I wouldn't have remembered about something like our friendship anniversary.

But anyway, speaking of Scott, he's currently asleep on my hammock. He's been tossing and turning a little. I'm guessing it's to do with the nightmares. I hope they're not too scary...

Oh! And Scott's butterfly brethren are all here! Scott and I set up a bit of a garden on one side of my greenhouse, outside, a few hours ago, and the butterflies have really been enjoying it. I wish I could grow flowers inside, but they die too easily because of the tinted glass. They'll be able to flourish outside; why didn't I think of making a garden outside sooner?

I hope to one day have an even bigger garden! With fields of wheat and carrots and potatoes! And of course, many flowers! I don't know how possible that'll be at the moment, but perhaps in the future. The future is always an option.

Scott was wondering what it looks like on his physical body when he's having one of those nightmares that I apparently cause, so i'm taking notes of any significant, interesting things that happen. So far, it's mostly just been tossing and turning but he also looks noticeably distressed, and has also been... mumbling to himself. I haven't been able to really hear what he's saying because it's so quiet, and sometimes muffled by my pillow, but I have heard one thing, and it's, "Don't touch her".

I don't know who he's talking about, I just know it's a she.

But anyway, I should go. Gotta concentrate!

- Shelby Grace.

--------------------------------------------

"Shelby! You home?" a voice calls from outside. I huff lightly, placing my diary and notes down underneath my hammock before quietly standing up and heading to my front door. I walk outside, and I see Sausage floating down, his light grey wings spread out wide and gracefully.

"Hello" I greet, closing my door behind him, "What are you doing here?" I question, folding my arms.

"I wanted to come say hello" Sausage shrugs, "I see you've made a garden" he smiles.

I nod, "Yeah. Scott helped me" I respond.

"That's cool" he says and walks around to the side of my greenhouse to get a good look at it, "It's really nice".

"Thanks" I say.

He smiles at me, and then the smile drops as he clears his throat, "So uh...".

"What?" I question, "If this is about the soul I gave you, I'm not telling you who's it is. Plus, you didn't even know them. I didn't know them either" I lie.

"You... stole a soul from a random villager?" Sausage questions, folding his wings in.

I shrug, "I guess. They were just wandering around. I don't know if they were from Gem's village though".

Sausage sucks in a breath, "If they were from Gem's village, and Gem finds out, you are gonna have a bad time dealing with her... Gem is quite attached to the villagers now. At least, the ones in her village".