2042

3/17

As soon as we received the call that Nastasia was awake, we booked the first flight to Italy. The entire ride in our rental was filled with silence. Sharon sat at the wheel, wearing a stoic expression. No matter the situation, she had to be the strong one, but I could sense her worry. On the other hand, I couldn't stop my hands from shaking. Just five months ago, we were informed that our best friend had been shot by intruders, and the chances of her waking up were slim to none. Yet, I always believed in Nastasia's fighting spirit.

As soon as we reach the entrance, we hop out of the car, neglecting our belongings as we rush toward the mansion.

"Where is she?" Sharon asks, grabbing onto one of the guards' hands. He points in the direction to follow, and we are soon greeted by a doctor.

"You must be Sharon and Megan. Nastasia is under heavy medication, so she's a little out of it, but she's awake," the doctor informs us.

"It's nice to meet you Doctor..."

"Just call me Micheal." He says, reaching his hand out for me to shake. He is very handsome looking like one of those doctors in Miami. I place his warm hand in mine giving it a firm shake.

"Please follow me." He leads us down a hallway that's isolated with only one door. I take a deep breath holding it. Just a few feet away my friend is in there, the same friend that had been comatose for months.

As soon as the door opens, my vision is quickly blurred with tears. I run to her, giving her a big hug. She sits there frozen, but I don't care. Sharon follows with a hug of her own, and I take in Nastasia's appearance. Her hair is slicked into a huge ponytail on the top of her head – definitely not her best style" I can't believe it. I'm so happy you're awake. There has not been a day when I haven't thought about you," I express with overwhelming joy. She smiles sheepishly at me leaning her hand to one side.

"Really?" she asks. That's right, she is high on medication right now. The poor girl couldn't keep her eyes open.

"How are you feeling?" Sharon asks.

"I feel okay but I will feel better after I get my hands on Silva."

"I'm sure he misses you a lot and I know he feels guilty."

"That man is the devil, he couldn't feel a knife in his back. Huh thats a good metaphor right?" She laughs at her little joke before closing her eyes. I look at Sharon who stares back in confusion.

"We were told that he left after what these intruders did to you. He couldn't bear seeing you in this state," I tell her, sharing the information we received.

"Intruders? Hmm... that's real interestin." She says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Oh nothing." She sings out waving her arms up and down. There was no way we could get a decent conversation out of her.

Sharon goes up to her and rubs her hair.

"Just get some sleep Stasi and we will be right here for you when you wake."

"I wish you wouldn't. I look a mess," she says, turning to her side to lay on her pillow.

"You look like a survivor."

"I will look better once I pay him back."

I stare at my second friend lost and when I look back at Stasi she was asleep.

"I think Silva did something to her." I tell Sharon.

"Well whatever it was, I'm sure he's going to regret not killing her."

***

We sat in her room for the next two days until she was able to come to her senses. However, it's hard to ignore how defeated she looks. We would ask Micheal multiple times what was wrong with her and he tells us it's normal for her to behave this way after just waking up.

"How are you feeling today?" Sharon asks her.

"Fine." She responds quickly.

"Do you want some water?" I second.

"No." I just sigh. This is all we could get from her, one word sentences and it's hard not to get frustrated.

"Ok Nastasia." Micheal comes in with a wheel chair pushing it right next to her bed.

"It's just temporary Ms. Brookes." He reassures her after seeing the devastating look on her face. He helps her into the wheelchair while giving her instructions on how to use it.

"How do I look?" She asks turning her chair to us. Her eyes were glossy with tears threatening to fall down her face.

"You look great." I tell her.

"And it's only temporary."

"With therapy you'll be back on your feet in no time." Her doctor adds on.

" I still don't want anyone else to see me." She says. "But I am glad that you're here. And maybe I will feel better once my nappy hair is tamed." She jokes and I smile at her.

"We can do a style on you." I offer.

"No thank you, I don't feel like being touched right now."

We stayed confined in this small room for a week up until it was time for us to leave. We would watch Nastasia do her therapy and she's able to feel her toes now. A little progress is progress but our friend is such a head strong person she's only gotten a little better.

I can sense that she feels degraded, and I wish there was something I could do for her. Behind her beautiful brown eyes, all I see is silent rage, yet she still refuses to let us know anything.

"Please call us Nastasia and we will be back in two weeks." Sharon tells her.

"I bet you'll be on your feet then." I add and she rolls her eyes.

"Hopefully I'm able to have a brand new attitude and look."

The both of us go up to her and give her a hug. This is very emotional for me, especially seeing her like this.

"I'm gonna hold you to that statement, Megan. They don't call me Firecracker for no reason," she smirks. 

And with that we leave her behind in the hands of her doctor.