nine

The minute I stepped into the house, my body slammed straight into a huge figure. I bit my lip to contain the pain that was searing through my body. I looked up. Oh my god.

A pair of red eyes glared back at me. Father gripped my shoulders tightly and growled, "Bitch did you just push me?!"

My breath caught in my throat. "N-N-No sir, I-" "THEN ARE YOU SUGGESTING THAT I AM LYING!?" He yelled, nostrils flaring dramatically.

My eyes widened. He picked me up and flung me across the room. For a split moment, I felt like I was flying. But then, I came crashing down. Literally.

My head smashed into the wall and I fell limply onto the ground. Father loomed over me menacingly. It seemed like... there were two of him instead.... my thoughts jumbled up in my head and the last thing I heard was, "You slut, whoring around with two guys, huh!?"

-

The next morning, I woke up with a huge headache. I could literally hear the pounding in my ears. I-I think... I'll just skip school today... I convinced myself and fell unconscious again.

By the time I woke up, it was already noon, but I was too weak to pick myself up from the ground. It hurt so badly. Father must have continued his beating after I had slipped into unconsciousness.

I bit my lip in pain and tried to push myself up but fell back down again. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Oh crap. Father won't be happy if I miss the bell, but I can't get up!

Father's bedroom door flung open and he stormed out aggressively. Lowering himself to my height, he grabbed me roughly and shoved me up against the wall. I cried out in pain and huddled myself against the wall.

He growled at me before going to get the door. I heard him ask politely, "Yes? Who are you looking for?" Psh, what a fake. "Ayla? AYLA!? You're looking for Ayla? Don't tell me, she's already had sex with you. What a slut," Father raged.

Suddenly, I heard someone being slammed into a wall. "Don't you dare say something like that again. You won't live to see tomorrow," someone growled in absolute fury.

My eyes popped open. That voice was so familiar..... familiar.... Alex! Desperately, I tried to stand up. I cried out in pain and a tear slipped down my cheek. Ouch!

Instantly, the beating sounds from the doorway stopped and rapid foosteps echoed through the house. In a flash, Alex was standing in front of me.

Oh my god. No. I probably look hideous in a pool of blood. Shivering from the cold, I tucked my chin into my chest, head resting on my knees. Every inch of my body was drawn to Alex. For some weird, insane reason, I felt like I wanted him to care for me.

Wait. What? What a shameful thought. No one will ever care for me. My eyes welled up with tears.

A smashing sound had my head snapping up in fear. Oh my god, what did I do now? I watched as Alex punched the wall, leaving a huge dent in its place.

I gaped at the strength he possessed. H-How is he so strong while I have difficulty standing up? His eyes were pure black and his chest was heaving up and down. What's wrong with him?

Now worried, I called out softly, "A-Alex?" He turned his full fury onto me; rage-filled eyes watching every move of mine. I stilled. Shoot. He must be angry because of me. What do I do?!

I flinched as he approached me. Watching his eyes fill with pain was like a stab in my heart. Gently, he placed his hand on my back. "Ouch," I flinched and whispered, voice hoarse and not having enough energy to protest.

His muscles started to tense and he shook with anger again. My eyes widened. Oh no. I shouldn't have flinched! Alex took a deep breath and slowly picked me up bridal-style. Tears welled up in my eyes but I bit my lip hard to contain the cries of pain.

The taste of metallic blood erupted on my tongue. Oh. Well. This isn't the first time I've harmed myself, anyway.

Alex set me gently on my bed. He noticed the tears in my eyes and growled lowly but remained calm. "Oh my princess," he whispered, stroking my hair.

"I-I'm f-fine," I choked out breathlessly. My eyes strayed to his knuckles. They were torn and bloody. Without a word, I reached over and touched them, guilt engulfing me.

This was why I had never seeked help before. Put up with the torturous nights. So that no one would get hurt because of me. "I'm sorry," I said sincerely, looking into Alex's eyes.

"I'll do anything to protect you, my princess. Anything at all. You have no idea."

"But you can't. Father won't let me go. Who else would be his punching bag then?" I smiled bitterly.

His hand brushed against my cheek and I winced in pain.

"You see? You're getting hurt by this monster and I'm not there to protect you! I-I don't deserve you," he shouted, then it faded to a whisper.

"It's fine. I'm alright, Alex. This isn't my first time you know. It's been years." I smiled at Alex, hoping to comfort him. But it had the opposite effect.

"What in the flying fuck?! Years?! I thought it was a recent thing!" Alex's face started to grow red and anger filled his eyes.

Trying to distract him, I steered the conversation in another direction. "So why did you come over?" I asked.

"Oh, I was worried that you didn't come to school today, and you left your math worksheet at my house yesterday," Alex calmed down significantly. "Oh, where is it?" I looked around but he had obviously not brought it into my room.

"O-oh, u-um...." Alex stuttered a little, a faint blush covering his cheeks.

Aww! That's so cute! I looked at him and saw him staring at me with love and adoration in his eyes.

Wait, love and adoration? That's impossible. Who in their right mind would remotely like a piece of--of broken..... garbage?

Not me, that's for sure.