Chapter 16: Meeting Zelda

"Princess Zelda, It has been far too long." You dipped into a low curtsy. You weren't so sure if that was the proper title for the princess; after all, it has been months since the last time you saw each other, there hadn't been any royalty to refer to for her entire life.

"How was your journey?"

"It went well," you replied with a light shrug. You never expected the princess to be so...casual. "I hope you've been enjoying yourself these past few months." By Hylia, what were you supposed to say? How is the your Infinity Sword?

Zelda grinned. "I've been keeping myself busy, but I enjoy working."

"So do I." You exchanged another small smile.

"Well," Zelda plopped down into the big armchair behind her desk. "I'm sure you're curious as to why I called you here on such short notice." She gestured to the chairs across from her. "Please, sit."

You scurried into a seat with speed. Zelda's eyes glittered with amusement. "I'll be honest with you, I have no idea why I'm here." Zelda nodded as she shuffled through a stack of papers on her desk.

"I've heard reports of your work in Hateno Village. You are a Blade Runner, correct?" You nodded, silent. "From these assessments, you've nearly eradicated many of the food that have ran your community."

You face twisted uncomfortably. "So you're saying that.....I've been being assessed?"

"Oh, forgive me," Zelda leaned forward on the large desk. "I didn't mean for it to sound so...official. I've been trying to keep tabs on all of the villages throughout Hyrule, just to make sure things are going smoothly. From what many of the travelers say, you're the best healer, fighter in our lands."

Your face flushed. Jake would drop dead if he had heard that statement. "I try my best."

"There's no need to be humble. You have a real talent, (Y/n)." Zelda gave her a soft smile. "Which is why I was wondering if you would be interested in the position of head Agent of Hyrule Castle."

You couldn't help your jaw from dropping open. You hadn't known what to expect during this visit, but it certainly wasn't a job offer. "I--" you shut your mouth, fearing that you looked much like a fish. "I am totally speechless."

"I've been trying to get Hyrule Castle back to what it once was. We've been able to increase the numbers of our staff rather quickly, but we've yet to find a proficient healer. And with the knights being so new..." Zelda sighed. "They're not as good at avoiding sharp objects as you might think."

You couldn't help but let out a small giggle. "I'm not sure if I would be able to accept that position. I have quit being a Champion and  become a Blade Runner, you see."

"Yes, I understand. How has your life been, since you help most of the people in your time?" It was a pointed question, one that hinted that Zelda knew a lot more about your life happenings than you had initially let on. You pursed your lips. 

You knew the princess was right. Your earnings from travelers were only keeping you afloat. You would need a much bigger customer base in order to completely pay off your debt to Ilia.

Zelda tore off a piece of paper and scribbled something onto it. She folded it in half and handed it to you. "Would you be more tempted to work for me if I told you that would be your daily income?"

 You unfolded the piece of paper and the number that was written on it nearly made your eyes pop out of your head. The number that Zelda was offering just for a day's pay...It was near what Ilia had given you as a loan. One paycheck and you could open ten shops!