Nineteen

The basement of the strategic planning building is always two to three degrees colder than the surface. The ceiling and walls underground are rumored to be made of 3 feet thick reinforced concrete slabs during the Cold War era, as a bomb shelter. Hoseok loves it, almost hosting all his meetings exclusively there. At first Taehyung thought it was for security reasons, but as he got to know Hoseok better, really got under his skin, he wonders if it's the psychological effect that Hoseok prefers, of the agents being cut off from the rest of the world. In desolation.

The rooms are non-descriptive and of variations of the same content: a large central table with cords to hook onto the speakers and hard wired connectivity, creaky wooden chairs that hurt his back when he slouches, extra bright lighting to blur the days and nights, and worn wooden paneling on the walls adorned by a lone screen. Hoseok is seated on the other side of the table, eyes glazed over the screen on the wall, one finger languidly circling the wooden whorl of the table's edge.

The agent hunched over a laptop next to Taehyung is M this time, someone he's worked with a few times before. Small frame, short crew cut hair, dark rimmed glasses, face impassive, M has always been a man of few words, and Taehyung appreciates it. Missions are simpler when everyone keeps their emotions in check and to themselves. Although unimaginative in coding, M is a gifted linguist, Slavic dialects being his strength. Both M and Taehyung have all the software open and available on their laptops, ready for the moment of contact.

The screen is showing a shaky camera view that's half obstructed. Thousands of miles and an ocean away, it's a rainy day in Moscow, the buildings and cars passing by in shades of gray and mottled browns. The view trembles with each of Alina's step, and the sound rustles against the fabric of the jacket. Thud, thud. Taehyung wonders absentmindedly if her wayward heartbeats are blended into the rustle, threatening to explode under the unassuming motion.

An expansive concrete building appears in front of them, with steps leading towards the wooden double front door. She makes her way towards the door and walks in as the person before her holds it open, whispering a shaky "благодарю".

A security stands inside an open lobby, in front of a metal detector. After the people in front of Alina go through one by one, she steps up to display her badge, and hands over what appears to be a small purse. There's a moment of pause, until the young stern security tilts his head and gestures for her to keep moving. Taehyung catches the spark of impatience in his eyes, and looks over to meet Hoseok's cold gaze, before swallowing his questions.

The camera swooshes into a blur as Alina scurries through the metal detector a little too quickly. She looks back at the security who is holding her open purse in his hands.

"почему это так тяжело?" he asks in a cranky tone.

Silence. Taehyung and Hoseok both snap their head towards M. But before he can respond, Alina's timid voice carries through, "Это всего лишь мелочь."

The camera trembles, Taehyung wonders if it'll fall off before or after the security becomes more suspicious, but instead, he steps over to thrust the open purse in Alina's hand and waves her off.

She steps away, into the darkened lobby, her shoes clacking against the tiled floor. Then up a set of wide stairs on the side, illuminated by dull daylight peeking through dusty windows. Until she's at a higher level, and her view transitions through a long corridor, before ending in an open room with rows of desks. Alina walks towards one of the desks with a computer monitor, and sits down in front of it. She fumbles with her jacket, and through the shaky camera, Taehyung spots the photo frame on the desk, a blurry shot of family members huddled together in an embrace.

He suddenly wishes that the camera has two way comms function, and that he can somehow say a few words to her, whisper feeble words of encouragement. It's ok, we'll help you as much as we can, you're doing well.