Twenty One

It's near noon when he's back near his car again, the sun is gleaming blurrily behind the haze, cutting the surrounding a sharper and less surreal silhouette. Taehyung's steps slow down when he spots another car parked next to his, a sleek silvery Porsche Spyder. A tall figure leans against the side, head dipped to focus on the cellphone in hand. Reluctantly, Taehyung walks closer, and the head snaps up, the bright eyes locking onto his intently, "Oh, you're back already."

Misfit t-shirt and khaki pants, big ears that are almost elvish, the young man is probably in his mid 20s, yet something about the inquisitive gleam in his eyes and his toothy open mouth smile makes him look childlike. Taehyung spots the expensive vintage Patek Philippe watch dangling nonchalantly on his wrist, and responds wearily, "Hi Loey, or should I call you by your real name, Chanyeol."

A chuckle, "I see you've researched about me, wouldn't expect any less from you, V, although I'm still honored."

Loey is one of the agents that Hoseok has intentionally kept anonymous and hidden as a digital resource only. Taehyung spent a few weeks researching and has had to call in a few favors to confirm his actual identity, that of Park Chanyeol, the only son of senator Park, who Hoseok has worked with in the hope of gaining a political ally.

"It's so good to finally meet you, Taehyung! I've always been a huge fan, I mean, the codes you guys wrote at Anonymous to shut down the CIA web mainframe?" He makes a kissing hand gesture, "Absolutely brilliant. That SQL injection method was pretty much the predecessor of the modern ransomware, ugh, it still gives me goosebumps when I think about it."

Taehyung stays silent.

Chanyeol steps closer and continues, a little too exuberantly for Taehyung's liking, "And these are the things Hoseok could never truly appreciate, you know. He doesn't understand the artistry behind what you do, the true power of your skills. How could he, when all he's been trained to do is to handle a gun like the brute he is."

Taehyung sighs, "Just get to it, Chanyeol, why are you following me, what do you want?"

"I've always been honest with you, haven't I? I told you I want to help you find Victoria, I know that's what you want also, what you've been looking for, clues that lead to her. Have you found the key tape to her Vernam cypher message?"

Taehyung doesn't say anything, but Chanyeol's eyes lock onto him, and slowly, a gasp escapes him, "Wait, did you actually find it? Wow, that's incredible."

Taehyung tries to keep his voice impassive, "So what if I've found it, are you gonna take it from me, threaten me for it?"

Chanyeol raises his hands and feigns innocence, "oh no, I'd never do that. I respect you, Tae, I want our friendship to be built on trust." The light in his wide eyes swirls, and the smile widens, "Also, I know how you and Victoria are, even if she gave you the key tape, it's probably just a clue deeper into the rabbit hole. That's why it's best to stick with you Taehyung, so we're on this journey together. Oh I wonder what's at the end though, what has she hidden? Is it intel that buys you your freedom? Maybe some incriminating details that can get Hoseok off your back?"

Taehyung retorts drily, "You and your dad both know Hoseok is not a villain. He's working with the greater interest in mind."

A scoff, "Do you really believe that, Tae? It all feels like a power trip to me, all the violence, the on-site missions, except his vision is so- limited, so basic. With your skills and perceptiveness, we can do much more. You know, there are many external forces that will pay an astronomical price for what you can do. Why be a pawn when you can be the player, be the one to call the shots instead of the likes of Hoseok."

Taehyung stares at him, taking in his animated features and confident air. There's a reason why it took Taehyung a few weeks to research on Chanyeol and his prominent father. What senator Park has never published is the fact that there are multiple anonymous oversea donors to his political campaigns, the details so hidden that Taehyung was only able to dig into the undocumented transactions through the back door portals opened by Nyetna. The mysterious donors are Boris Betezivsky and Vlad Vinograd, two of the wealthiest oligarchs in Russia. Chanyeol and his father's allegiance lies in the very enemy Hoseok is fighting against.

Chanyeol lowers his voice and arches a brow, "Did I also tell you that I found some interesting facts about Hoseok also? That he has a daughter named Lily that has been raised without any affiliation to him? This would only be one of the many pieces of info we can use to negotiate and nudge him out of our way."

Taehyung knits his brows and thinks of the tattoo Hoseok hides under his shirt, of the thin outline of a lily flower. But what he doesn't tell Chanyeol is he's known this secret for a few years now.

Chanyeol continues, "So what's the next step, Tae? Where does Victoria's trail lead to? How can I be of service to help you gain the power you've always deserved?"

Taehyung doesn't respond right away. His gaze moves beyond Chanyeol's lanky figure, into the jagged coast and the hazy sky. The sun is bound to evaporate the mist soon, and the colors of the crashing waves and whispering cypress will return, chasing away the gloom. Taehyung finds his thoughts drifting, across the endless ocean, to a place where he's left his heart behind.