Four

Jin's home has always smelled old to him, like yellowed books and clothes forgotten in the attic. Of course, Jungkook would never dare uttering the thought out loud.

It's simple, a small bungalow nestled amongst trees north of town, about half an hour walk from the surf shop at a good pace. Past the porch with potted plants and a rocking chair collecting dust and dried leaves, through the front door that's perpetually open, and they are in the living room. Jungkook wiggles his feet to adjust to the rattan guest slippers that are always a tad too narrow, and surveys around him.

The furnishing is basic and in neutral colors - oversized beige couch, long wooden dining table, a long row of bookshelves with books from a wide range of subjects (Le Petit Prince nestling next to Volcanic Sediments of the Hawaiian Archipelago). A few abstract paintings hang on the way, reminiscent of some ancient talisman with symbols scribbled all over them. According to Jin, the last time Yoonji knocked one off the wall, the roof leaked for a whole week. There's no point scrambling his brain to understand the perplexing logic behind that statement.

Jin is in the open kitchen fussing over an open crock pot, and Namjoon is hunched over the counter, talking to him softly.

"...should've grabbed more bread, one loaf is never enough for everyone."

Namjoon murmurs, "It's fine, I can always run out if we're short..."

"But hospitality! More food than necessary! You know, years ago I would've done a welcoming ceremony for every new guest, the incantation, the offerings, whole nine yard."

"Love, it's just us, you know Jungkook and I would eat anything you cook."

Jin looks up and waves his hand at Taehyung, "Not for you, for the guest. It's Taehyung's first time here."

Taehyung sets the potted plant in hand on the dining table, and smiles, "I'm sure whatever you cook is delicious. Smells good in the house."

Jungkook shoots him a look that says wow suck up much, Taehyung ignores him.

Namjoon eyes the plant curiously, "What a pretty looking thing."

Jungkook agrees. Taehyung was adamant that they brought a gift for the meal, so they walked around Main Street for a while until stopping at Uki Florist. And of all the plants clamouring for attention in the tiny shop, he could tell Taehyung was fascinated about this one right when he stepped in. It's a dwarf schefflera, according to the shop owner, with thin wisps of roots drifting down from the branches, reminiscent of the banyan tree near the town hall.

"Supposedly these bonsai trees live for decades." Taehyung says with a gleam in his eyes.

"What a nice thought, think of all the stories the trees can tell if you listen." Jin comments as he lifts the lid off a crock pot on the kitchen counter.

"You know I've always wanted a bonsai tree." Namjoon murmurs, practically cooing over the plant.

"Hands off my tree, you only get visitation rights if you behave. And - ow ow OW ow!" Jin suddenly helps and shakes his fingers violently.

"Use a fork, don't use your hand." Jungkook eyes him wearily.

"Don't tell me how to make my own dish." Jin clicks his tongue, but after grabbing on the piping hot folded leaves cautiously a few more times, ends up pulling open the utensil drawer reluctantly.

"If you keep bugging him, he's gonna start on the whole food-should be cooked in the soil spew again." Namjoon comments gravely.

Jin glares at him, "It's true! Remember how tutu use to make everything buried under an open flame, and it would come out all smokey and flavorful? I miss those days so much, these - these-" he flails his hands at the crockpot hopelessly, "-electronics are nothing compared to the old ways."