ch 11: Rajeshwari

Meera was having her breakfast when Rajeshwari, all of a sudden, bombarded her with questions about Suyash. "What's happening to Suyash?" Rajeshwari asked.

Confused, Meera took a bite of food and asked, "What do you mean?"

"Is he really dying?" Rajeshwari asked.

Taken aback, Meera, with a mouthful of food, managed to reply, "Woah, how did you... Did he tell you that?" She coughed a little as she spoke.

Rajeshwari didn't stop there. "Is he going blind?" she continued with her rapid-fire questions.

"I can't tell you anything," Meera finally said, clearly uncomfortable, and refocused on her breakfast.

*************

Suyash, about to leave for the office, opened the car door but was interrupted by Meera, "Suyash!" she said, trying to speak quickly.

"Rajeshwari knows about-" Meera began.

Suyash hushed her, by placing a finger on his lips, and gestured towards the car where Nikhil was sitting. They both moved away to speak privately.

"Yes, she knows. She saw my original medical report," Suyash admitted regretfully. "I should have been more careful."

" I was thinking -" Meera began.

"Not now," he said, knowing what she was going to bring up.

"Will you just listen to me?" Meera persisted.

"I don't want to listen to anything," Suyash retorted.

Meera's desperation grew. "So that's your plan? Keeping this secret from your family until... until when? Until you are dead?"

Suyash remained silent.

"How does it feel like?" Meera asked softly.

"Feel what?" Suyash looked confused.

"Lying, hiding from the only people who care for you," Meera said, her voice filled with emotion.

"Meera, what do you want from me? To keep this to yourself?" Suyash asked, his hands in his pockets.

"I don't want anything. I want to know why," Meera pleaded.

Suyash paused for a moment, and then spoke softly, "Because I failed as a man, as a husband, as a father, and sometimes that makes me not want to be alive."

With those heavy words hanging in the air, Suyash added firmly, "Are we clear?" He walked away, got into the car, and drove off.

********

At Agarwal house, Shilpa was beaming at her phone. "Yes, we will definitely come," she said with enthusiasm.

Just as Parvati was about to leave for the office, Shilpa Bhabhi stopped her. "Parvati bhabhi!" she called.

She handed her the phone."It's Monalika,"

Parvati took the phone. "Hello, Monalika."

"Badi Ma, Mom wants to talk to you," Monalika said, passing the phone to her mother-in-law, Mallika Doshi.

"Hello, Parvati," Mallika Doshi said with excitement.

"Hi, Mallika," Parvati replied, her tone less enthusiastic.

"It's my 25th marriage anniversary this weekend," Mallika announced.

"Ooh, congratulations!" Parvati replied, though not overly enthusiastic, she still offered her well wishes.