5.

When Cordelia woke up it felt like the sun was trying to murder her eyeballs. She groaned, she was never drinking again. Someone came through the door.

"Morning Lia" Steven said cheerfully. She groaned in response the hangover killing her. "Yeah you're right Lia, you do look like shit" He pulled her up out of bed and handed her a drink. "Jere was fully prepared and made you a hangover smoothie. Drink up then come downstairs" 

Too tired to argue she downed the drink and  she could already feel the smoothie working. Slowly she edged downstairs into the kitchen to find everyone chatting.

"Can't she just, like, look at a picture on her phone or something?" Steven asked his mother desperately.  

Laurel shook her head "She needs to see you in the flesh in order to capture your essence. While you're still young and full of hope." they all burst out laughing and Laurel added "Her words."

"Well, Conrad does not have hope, actually." Jeremiah said gesturing to his older brother who was lying on the couch half-dead "He's hopeless, but my hangover smoothie... it cures all."

Cordelia nodded "Truer words never spoken" Jere smiled. "Can you please just hurry up?" Conrad called out.  

"Just go back to bed, all right?" Jeremiah advised before giving Steven a light shove "All right, seriously, Steven, get out."

"Oh, come on." he whinged like a child. "This is a delicate science, and your heavy breathing is gonna break the yolk." Jeremiah said. Raising his arms in defeat Steven walked away "Okay. Okay, okay."

"She hasn't painted you since you were little. I think it'd be nice to have these portraits for when you're older." Cordelia's mother told them. 

"Old. No. When we're older, I'm sure there'll be, like, like, holograms or something we can watch of ourselves on, you know?" Steven explained matter-of-factly. Cordelia shook her head, what a nerd. 

Laurel put her foot down "Just sit for your portraits." she added "I don't see Conrad complaining.". Cordelia explained to Laurel "He'll complain when he's conscious." 

When Jere had made the smoothie he handed it to his older brother who quickly drank it "Thank you." 

Steven sighed "Come on, man. Hurry your ass up. All right? I can't be late for my first day of work." 

"We won't. We're good." Jeremiah assured him. Cordelia smiled her best friends were so excited to start working.  

"Come on, man. Ooh! Those old country club boomers are gonna tip me so hard, man, they won't know what hit 'em." Steven said thrusting his hips like a mad man.  

"Oh my God Steven, I swear." Cordelia threatened. He put an innocent face on as he asked her "What?"

Jeremiah spun Cordelia round "Come on, Cordy. My boy's got to get that bread." 

Steven laughed "Thank you."

Just then Belly came down the stairs "Good morning. Belly, where have you been?" 

"Is that a bruise?" Cordelia exclaimed worriedly upon seeing the splotch on the side of Belly's face. She felt her face anxiously "Um, I-I bumped into someone." 

"You bumped into someone?" Laurel asked disbelievingly.  

"Um, cereal?" Cordelia asked grabbing at a box.  Belly nodded "Yeah, hit me."

Susannah ran into the room exclaiming "Oh, my God! My girls are gonna be debutantes."

"It's really not that big of a deal." Belly said brushing it off with a smile. Steven paused "I'm sorry. Like, Belly? Like, my sister? And Lia? Like, that thing right there?"

"Shut up." Belly and Cordelia yelled at him.  

"Okay, this is gonna be so much fun. Just you wait." Susannah said "There is, uh... there's the tea, the auction, the ball, of course, the rehearsal." she listed quickly before exclaiming " I got to write this down."

 Suddenly she gasped "We need to go shopping.". Susannah's excitement made the two girls want to laugh. Laurel bit her lip "This sounds... expensive." 

"Oh, don't worry. It's on me. It was my idea after all, and we still need to style you for your book party, so..." Susannah started rambling to herself again.  

"Belly, are you sure you want to do this? It doesn't seem very you." Laurel asked.  

"It's not." Conrad called out having heard the conversation.  

"Conrad, could you please be a little more supportive?" Cordelia's mother asked but got no reply. 

"Now" Susannah said "Which two of you three are going to be the girls escorts to the ball? 

"Not me. I went last year." Conrad said.  

"Yeah, and I swore off balls." Jeremiah said before adding "The dances, dude." as Steven carried on laughing.

"Wow, guys. Stop fighting over us." Cordelia said jokingly. Belly piped up and said "Um, I'm not going with either of you. I am going to find my own date."

"Wikipedia says debutante balls require instruction in morals and social etiquette." Laurel read. 

Steven smiled "They could use some etiquette.". Cordelia glared at him "Shut up Steven, or I'll get Laurel to make you be my escort"

Steven motioned to zipping his lips and grabbed Jeremiah so the two could leave. "Yeah. No offense, Beck, but I don't feel like a country club is the best place to teach Belly and Cordelia about morals." Laurel said. 

"Laur, times have changed. There's a girl debbing this season, and she's bringing her girlfriend as her escort, and the club was fine with it." Cordelia's mother explained hoping to ease her anxiety.  

Laurel replied sarcastically "How very progressive of them." 

"Well, hurry up! We have shopping to do." Susannah said grabbing Cordelia and Belly. Laurel sighed "It's not like I was getting any work done anyway."