16.

They went out and Cordelia sat with Jeremiah as Steven made food in the kitchen. "Oh... That's all breast meat with the special pesto aioli sauce, right?" Jere asked as Steven brought out his food. 

"I'm not your personal chef, all right?" Steven reminded him, then he smirked "But yes. I walked all the way to the kitchen to get it." 

Jeremiah took a massive bit out of his sanwhich and nodded "Mmm. Mmm. You know it's all love."

Cordelia whacked his arm "Come on Jere. Susannah's always telling you to keep your mouth closed when you eat" 

Jeremiah chuckled at her then suddenly Gigi and Dara walked over smiling at the boys "Steven. Can we please get two Slushies?" 

"Mm. Yeah, yeah, coming up, ladies." Steven said rushing off. 

"Thank you. Um, that was the most fun waltz rehearsal, like, in the history of waltz rehearsals." Gigi said twirling a blonde piece of hair around her finger as she gazed at Jere.  

"You came just in time." Dara said "Your girl Belly's a disaster in heels." Jere wasn't going to let these pompous rich girls talk shit about Belly so he sternly said "You know what? Belly's actually a good dancer. The waltz is just dumb." 

Just in time Steven walked out with their slushies and pushed them across the counter "Here you go, ladies." 

Gigi smiled "Perfect, thank you." 

When the girls had walked away Steven asked "What's their deal?" 

"Well, uh, Gigi wants a boyfriend and, uh, I think Dara bit you once." Cordelia explained. Steven laughed and looked at Jere who gasped "Yeah, I remember that." seeing the bewildered look on Steven's face he said "It's a long story." 

"You guys want to get out of here?" Jere asked as he looked around the club clealry bored. "I can't." Steven said. 

"You're no fun." Jere said crossing his arms like a child making Cordelia chuckle at his stupidness.  

"Not-not all of us have a trust fund, Jere, all right? Some of us need to work." Seven reminded him. Jere shook his head "Bullshit. If Cordy asked you right now, your ass would be out the door."

"Yeah." Steven laughed "I mean, it's Lia. I'd do anything for my summer girl." he sent her a wink making her cheeks redden.  

A guy came from back and yelled "Steven. Someone important must like you, because you've been promoted to the card room." 

"Whoa. The club has a card room?" Jeremiah asked, Steven just shrugged and walked away as the guy called him again "Come on." 

Jeremiah then turned to Cordelia "So you free?"

"Sorry Jere I'm reading at the beach and then later I have to try on some outfits for when Susannah does my portrait on my birthday." she explained sadly. His face fell "Oh my god I forgot you're going to be turning 17 soon."

"Yeah lucky me it also happens to be the day of the debutante ball" Cordelia said. Jeremiah looked at her with his pleading puppy dog eyes as he asked "You're sure you can't come?" 

"No Jere. Go find Belly or Conrad I'm sure one of them is free." Cordelia said she got up and walked away. She preferred reading on the beach to reading at home. The atmosphere was just so much clearer, everything felt better on the beach. 

After a while Cordelia got a notification on her phone, it was a text from Steven telling her to meet him on the beach tonight at 8 because he had a surprise. 

She was curious as to what the surprise could be. She asked Belly to help her get ready, so when 7:50 rolled about she was ready. She had some light makeup on, her hair had been curled and now sat calmly on her head and she wore a beautiful circle skirt in yellow with a white shirt. 

"Hope you have fun Cordelia." Belly said with a hug before pulling a stern face "But not too much fun and I also do not want any details because Steven's still my brother."

She walked down and found Steven waiting for her on the footpath. "Hey Steven." she said with a smile. He smiled back and kissed her hand "Good evening to you too, Lia. You look beautiful"

"Thank you" she said taking a quick glance at her outfit. "Do you trust me?" he asked her. 

She blinked at him in surprise "Of course."

Cordelia saw the blindfold in his hand and let him tie it over her eyes. "Don't worry I won't let you fall." he whispered in her ear as he took both her hands in his and led her down the beach. He led her around for a bit but eventually he stopped her. 

"Right stay here and when I tell you take off the blindfold." Steven said gently taking his hands away. She nodded "Okay"

He stepped away from her and said "Now"

She took it off and saw a beautiful picnic had been set up. There was Susannah's favourite picnic blanket on the ground , the super soft quilted one. The ground around them was covered in fairy lights and candles with rose petals all around. 

Steven had brought a fancy dinner with a cheese board and grapes with some of Cordelia's favourite food and there was also two champagne glasses filled with champagne. Cordelia looked between Steven and his surprise in awe. She flung her arms around him 

"Steve this looks amazing. How?" Cordelia was breathless, it was such a beautiful gesture. Steven smiled "I'm your best friend remember I know all your favourites."

They sat down on the blanket and ate their food, after they'd finished they both just laid down next to each. 

Cordelia turned her head to look at Steven "Steven?" she asked. He looked away from the starry sky and looked back at  her "Yeah"

"I've had a really great night. Thank you." Cordelia loved it, it was the sweetest thing a guy had ever done for her. 

He smiled "No problem, like I said I love you and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to earn back your trust." He gazed into her soul. She stared back searching for any doubt but all she saw was unyielding admiration as he stared back at her.

Cordelia sat up "Ask me" she told him with a small smile on her face. 

He smiled and sat up too "Cordelia Summers, will you be my girlfriend?

She leaned in and they kissed there was such passion and love behind the kiss Cordelia could almost hear the fireworks going off in her heart. When they broke apart quickly for breath she smiled "Yes"