19.

The big day had finally arrived "Good morning, Cordelia." Her mother said shaking her shoulder lightly. She bolted up half-asleep asking "Oh, my God. Am I late?" 

"No, you're fine." she assured her daughter "Are you ready for your big day, birthday girl?" 

"Not at all." Cordelia sighed honestly "I mean. what if I trip?" 

Cordelia's mother shook her head "You won't. Just hold on to Steven's arm. He won't let you fall." she promised.

Cordelia nodded remembering their first date on the beach with a small laugh "That's true." 

"You know, I still can't believe you two are going together. I thought Susannah was eventually going to ask Conrad to take you since Belly is going with Jeremiah." Her mother chuckled.  

Cordelia smiled "It wouldn't have been the same if I'd gone with Conrad besides Steven said he doesn't mind. He was actually so excited he was looking and suits before we even got together."

"Well, he'd do anything for you." she said. Cordelia smiled knowing her mom was right. 

Cordelia's mom's face fell and she sighed "Everything okay? Yeah. Did I push you into this? Y-You can tell me the truth." 

"Um, maybe? A little, at first." Cordelia admitted. Her mother groaned but she continued "No, but I-I wanted to make you happy. And Susannah, you both looked so excited at the idea." 

"Look, honestly, we don't even need to go tonight if you don't want to, okay?" Cordelia's mother assured placing a comforting hand on her shoulder "After all it is your birthday"  

"No, I-I want to go." Cordelia said confidently "I want to finish what I started. And I'm-I'm kind of proud to show everybody."

She smiled at her daughter and the pair hugged "I love you so much, beautiful girl."

Her mother left the room leaving Cordelia alone to get ready. 

After half and hour or so Steven ran into the room "Steven, what are you doing in here?" 

"I screwed up big-time." he sighed going to her hug.  

Cordelia paused what she was doing and hugged him "Are you okay?" 

She could feel him shakes his head as he explained "So, poker with Liam, um... I lost every hand. You know, the money I've been saving up all summer, it's gone. I can't even pay for my tux now. I'm sorry, I can't go to the ball with you." 

Cordelia pushed him away "Are you fucking kidding me?" 

"I mean, I started losing a-and I thought I could win it back, but every hand I got, things just got worse and worse and worse." he tried to explain but she just kept pacing refusing to meet his eye. 

"And you couldn't just get up and leave?" she asked. She paused and sat down laughing "No, of course not, 'cause you wanted Liam and the other guys to think you were a baller. You didn't think about how it'd make me feel, especially on my birthday" 

He sat down "Listen Lia, I am so sorry."

"Steven, the ball is tonight." she reminded him sternly. Steven sighed in defeat "I know." 

"Fine, I'll just give you the money." she said standing up to go find her purse. He grabbed her arm to stop her "No, no, no, look, I'm not taking any money from you. Especially on your birthday" 

Steven let go and she looked him dead in the eyes "Steven, please just be honest with me. Do you even want to go to this ball together?" 

"Yes. Yes, yes. I'm s... More than anything." he told her earnestly. She nodded "Okay, I think Adam has an old tux in the garage. You can wear that." 

"I mean, will it, will it fit? Y-You know, 'c..." he shut up when he saw her face "No. No, n... No, no, no. I'm... You're right. You're right. You're right. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. That... That would be amazing. That's super nice of you. Cordelia, I really don't want to miss this."

She shook her head "You are a dumbass."

They managed to find the tux in the garage and they walked out to see Jeremiah kissing Belly. When he walked away Steven stormed over with Cordelia chasing after. 

Belly noticed them "Hey Cordelia, Happy Birthday" 

"What the freak?" he demanded "Are you kidding me? You and Jeremiah?" 

Belly sighed "It just happened." 

"W-When? What, just now?" he gasped exasperated.  

"Like, a-a week ago?" Belly told him.  

"Oh, my G... Are you kidding?" he pretended to retch "Oh, oh, t-this is sick. I feel like I'm gonna throw up. Oh, oh, my God, and you guys were, like, wh... like, what, like, sneaking around, keeping it a secret from me this whole time?" 

"Come on this has nothing to do with you, Steven." Cordelia said trying to ease his anger. Steven glared at Belly as he asked "Oh, my God, are you guys, like, a couple?" 

"No! No, I don't, I don't know. We just... We-we just kissed a few times." Belly trailed off at the end. "Just a f..." he paused "Wait, wait, wait, wait. So-so what about Conrad?" 

"What about him?" Belly asked carelessly. "Uh, I don't know, maybe the fact that you've been, like, goo-goo gaga over him since you were ten." Steven reminded. Cordelia gave him a slight whack on the shoulder.  

"Steven, she's not ten anymore." Cordelia reminded. "Yeah, not far from it." Steven retorted.  

"Really?" Belly asked "Because yesterday Cordelia was my age, which makes her a kid, too, and that makes you a dirtbag. Oh, and you know who else is my age? Taylor. You hypocrite." 

"Yeah, okay, okay, okay. Okay, I get it. I ju... I just... I just don't want things to get all screwed up. All right, come on, they're like our family, Belly." he told her "This affects, like, way more than just you." 

She sighed "I know. But you don't get a say in who I date. I get to pick, and I pick Jeremiah. You're just gonna have to trust me." She got in the car and drove away. 

"Really Steven?" Cordelia asked as he headed towards the house, yet again she had to run after. 

Steven looked at Jeremiah "Hey." 

"Yo, what's up?" he smiled "Hey Cordy, Happy Birthday" 

"You couldn't bother to tell me you were hooking up with my sister?" Steven demanded suddenly. "She told you?" he asked Steven surprised. Steven chuckled "No, I saw you guys kissing."

Jere went pale "Y-You're not gonna beat me up, are you?" he looked to Cordelia "Come on Cordy, you're not going to let him beat me up are you?" 

"Oh, I'm really thinking about it." Steven glared. Cordelia took a hold of his hand to calm him "No he's not going to"

"Listen, Steven, I-I really like her." Jeremiah assured. Steven reminded "Dude, you like a lot of people." 

"Have you seen me hooking up with any guy or girl this summer?" Jere asked. Cordelia nodded "Yes, I saw you making out with that guy at Nicole's party but honestly he was just sad about Belly and Cam." 

"Yeah" Jere agreed "And that was, like, a month ago. Listen, Steven, I would never do anything to ever hurt her. I swear. Come on, it's Belly." 

Steven gave in "Well, you still should've told me. Both of you"

"I should have. I'm sorry." Jeremiah said solemnly. Steven sighed and finished by saying "God, just, don't do stuff in front of me." and they walked away, Steven dropped Cordelia off at the country house to get ready for the Debutante Ball.