28 - Danila's Past

"How have you been living without me?" Danila startled Mia while she was quietly reading a book on the bed.

"Danila! Jesus, you gave me a heart attack!" She responded alarmed and jumped off the bed to approach him. He looked exhausted but his smile was undeniable as he watched her walk over to him. "I came to visit you today but you weren't there, where did you go, how are you feeling?" She asked concerned as he walked to the bed with her. He sat down and closed his eyes and she climbed on the bed beside him and sat on her knees.

"I had to go to Vladislav's and then I had a work call and then one thing after another." He lied with his eyes closed. God, he felt so good being beside her again. She was here and she was waiting for him, what a lovely gift.

"Are you in pain? You look tired." She asked concerned and he smiled and looked at her.

"A bit tired. But I'm so happy to have you beside me, Mia." He spoke genuinely but she only smiled shyly. "I hate the fucking hospital, ugh. I'm going to go shower." He got up from the bed but she dared to ask,

"Do...you need help?"

Danila smiled widely at her words but quickly hid his smile and turned to her, "Yes. I think I do."

As they stood in the bright bathroom, Mia helped him take off his t-shirt and he diligently watched her. She raised it over his head and quietly stood in front of his naked chest while meticulously studying his tattoo.

"Why did you get a tattoo, Danila..." She asked as if lamenting it.

"You don't like it? I'll get it removed for you." He said without hesitation. Mia was surprised he would say that,

"You would take your tattoo off if I didn't like it?" She double checked.

"Of course, I would do anything for you, I lov-" but Mia clasped her hand to his mouth.

"Don't say it!" She shook her head quickly.

"Love you." He finished and brought her hand down from his face, "I love you, Mia. I'm not going to stop saying it." He watched her bring her eyes down from his face and sigh heavily. He knew he was so close to turning it all around. A few more weeks and there would be no turning back, she would say it to him too one day.

Mia continued undressing him silently as he relaxed in her presence.

"Do you remember I undressed you here when you came to live with me? Almost two months ago?" He asked her as she hooked her thumbs into his boxer briefs.

"Yes." She looked up at him and bent down to pull them down. "How could I forget." She spoke quietly once she came back up and didn't dare look down at his naked body.

"Why do you still act like a stranger with me, Mia?" Danila asked kindly, his good hand coming up to cup her cheek. "We've known each other for a long time...we've had sex, we've been through so much..." He almost pleaded for an answer from her. Mia didn't know what to respond to him.

She had a husband. And while she had a hard time resisting Danila and felt something for him too, he could never replace Kirill. It turned over in her mind that Danila was like the younger, gentler version of Kirill. But she was infatuated with and belonged to The Original, her One and Only.

"Maybe because...even though...we've had sex...and done other things...I feel like I don't know who you are." Mia tried to make something up that was sort of truthful. "And the circumstances I am placed in now, are weird as fuck." She laughed under her breath. "And I'm having trouble recognizing reality."

Danila thought about her words and then couldn't stop himself from saying, "I see...maybe one day soon, it will all become clear to you."

Mia had no idea what that meant and didn't give that any second thought. She helped him shower and helped him re-bandage his shoulder. She was gentle and caring, her personality and kind nature couldn't not shine through.