Trouble in Paradise

As the hours turned into days, and the days turned into weeks, Serena became more comfortable with her new home.  She savored every second she got to spend with Kyle and even acted  friendly towards the aquarium owners.  Her display had not opened yet, but it was set to do so the next day.

Serena was lounging just beneath the surface when something splashed in the water.  She turned her head and smiled as she saw Kyle's figure submerge beneath the waves.  Kyle had become extremely busy with college lately and Serena cherished her time with him now more than ever.  He waved to her and swam smoothly towards in his wetsuit and flippers.  Serena could barely see his blue eyes through his tinted goggles and she reached her hand towards his cheek.  He moved just out of her reach and shook his head.  Serena frowned and watched him swim towards the surface.  She followed.  

"Serena we need to talk," Kyle said as she popped up beneath the waves. "About us."

Serena's eyebrows furrowed, "What's there to talk about?  You told me a few weeks ago that you wanted to be with me, no matter what."

"I know what I said, Serena." Kyle shook his head, "But sometimes things change."  

Serena gasped, her eyes going wide, "There's someone else..."

"No..well..I don't know." He gestured around the tank, "Look around us.  You're at home here in the water.  You breathe saltwater and you don't shrivel up like a prune.  I'm not made for the water Serena."

"But...you've made it work...and we've kissed and..." Serena muttered.

"I know that.  Serena," He placed his hands on both sides of her face, "I care a lot about you, but I think it's best we be friends.  This can't develop into a relationship..I have legs, and you have a tail.  I just don't see this being able to last."

"Fine.  I understand." Serena said stiffly.  She shrugged away from him and flicked her tail to propel her further away.  Her voice was cold, "Goodbye, Kyle."  She turned and dove under the waves, making sure he wouldn't see her cry.

Kyle clenched his jaw as his lip trembled.  He turned and swam back to the platform lifting himself out of the tank.

He told himself that it was for the best.  She was a mermaid.  He was a human.  She was destined to live under the sea while he could manage to hold his breath for only a few short minutes.  And truth be told, there was a new girl attending his college, and she had shown interest in Kyle.  Kyle wanted to see if he could push his feelings for Serena aside so he could live a normal life.

But how long would he be able to suppress those feelings?