Catching Up

Serah's small, lithe frame glided gracefully through the water as she swam to the bottom of her sister's home.  She twisted around and let her arms slide through the sand as she swam backwards, looking up at her sister.  "Serena, your tail..."

Serena waved her off as she swam down to swim near her.  "It's nothing."

Serah narrowed her eyebrows and reached out, gently sliding her hand along the side of Serena's tail. She gasped as a line of scales fell off too easily.

Serena flinched away, "Stop."  She gazed down at the dull teal color her scales had left behind.  She held her hand over it, hiding it.  "Honestly, I'm fine."

Serah snorted, "You're clearly not.  Your tail is dull, the scales are falling off.  You're getting sick Serena.  They can't keep you here much longer, you'll never make it."

Serena closed her eyes.  "Please, stop." She whispered.  Even though she just denied her illness, Serena had realized that she had been changing lately.  Not in a good way either.  Her usually bright tail had become dull, as had her eyes.  Scales had been dropping from her tail so often that Serena's tail now had dull patches of teal where they had fallen off.  Her skin had paled significantly.  

Serena crossed her arms over her chest and forced a smile, "I'm going to be fine, Serah."

Serah bit her lip and nodded, "I will get you out of here." She looked around at her sister's 'home' and shook her head in disgust, "You don't belong here, and they should know that." 

Serena kept quiet as they lazily swam along the sand.  "I don't know what to do." She finally said.

Serah glanced at her and Serena saw fire in her bright blue eyes, "We get out of here and back to the ocean.  If you stay in here too much longer, you'll turn to nothing."

"Mmmm" Serena closed her eyes as her body met the sand.  She rested her hand against the soft sand and went still, her hair floating around her.

"Serena?" Serah swam over to her and rested a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm just tired, that's all.  Long day." Serena murmured.

Serah nodded, not wanting to pry. "I need to go.  I'll be back tomorrow night, same time, okay?"

Serena instantly sat up, "You're leaving?"

"I don't really have a plan yet Serena.  I don't want to risk getting us both caught...I promise you, I'll have a plan soon, I just need to think on it, 'kay?"

Serena nodded, a small smile on her lips.  "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow.  Be careful, Serah."

Serah hugged her sister tightly, "I will.  See you soon."

Serena watched her sister take off at a very swift speed to the top of the surface before disappearing onto the platform and into the night.  She rolled over onto her stomach and nestled into the sand.  This is where she would sleep tonight.

A million things were running through her head, but the most important one that had Serena concerned were the words her sister said.  Serah was right.  If she remained out of the ocean much longer, she could die.  She closed her eyes and forced sleep upon herself, erasing all of the thoughts.  But one remained.

Serena, how much longer?