The Worst is Yet to Come

Serena...Serena...Serena...

Her name.  Serena.  It sounded like a whisper.  But where was it coming from?  Actual voices?

"Serena, wake up.  Come on, Serena."  A deep voice.  Strange, but familiar.  Serena slowly opened her eyes to see Kyle's face above hers.  She tried to speak but her lips wouldn't move.  She tried to reach an arm up, but her body was too heavy.  She was on her back, unable to move.  She could only watch. Her blue eyes met his.  

"Serena." Serena exhaled as she heard her sister's voice.  She slowly glanced around her surroundings until she caught her sister's eyes.

"Are you okay?" Serah asked. 

Serena huffed as she gathered herself.  She nodded, "Yeah, I think so.  I don't know what happened...I just...blacked out."  She shivered as she remembered the conversation.  "Australia?"  She asked, tight-lipped.

Serah nodded slowly as Kyle helped Serena sit up.  She had been pulled from the water after she blacked out and, judging by the wetness of Kyle's hair and clothes, it had been him who had pulled her onto the platform.

"Thank you." Serena whispered and gazed up at him.  He nodded, his mouth set in a line as he leaned over and tucked a piece of Serena's long hair behind her ear.  She felt herself blush at his touch.  His fingers brushed her cheek as Serah cleared her throat.

"Right...well...back to what really matters. Australia?" Serah whined as Kyle seemed fixed on Serena.  

Serena caught the tone in her sister's voice and she jerked her head towards her.  "What's your problem, Serah?" She hissed.  She glanced at Kyle and then back to her sister. "You tell me that there is nothing between the two of you when you first visited me, and now you can't stand it when we even look at each other?" Serena was confused and hurt by her younger sister's behavior.  

She noticed the look Kyle gave to Serah before he quickly turned away and shook his head. 

"What? I saw that look." Serena snapped.

Kyle turned to Serah and then looked at Serena, "I don't think we should be talking about this.  What's going to happen to you is most important right now."

"No." Serena said coldly, "What's important to me, is why my sister is hiding things and acting like a completely different person towards me-"

As soon as it was out of her mouth, Serena gasped.  She had said the word. Sister.

She hastily looked at Serah whose expression had not changed.  She shrugged. "He already knew, Serena." she spoke quietly.  "As soon as we left the aquarium on that first day, he turned to me and asked." 

Serena stared at her, "But you've been keeping it a secret from me.  What else are you hiding from me Serah?"

Kyle cleared his throat and stared pointedly at Serah, "She has been hiding a lot, apparently." He turned to Serena and ran a hand through his hair, "Serena.."

"Yeah?"

"Serah is my girlfriend."