Reunion

But sometimes things change

I have legs, and you have a tail

I just don't see this being able to last

Over and over, Serena replayed his words in her head as she hid in her secluded cave.  She had settled herself on one of the ledges that kept half of her body out of water while the other half was submerged beneath the illuminated water.  She gazed down at her tail and then angrily slapped her hands on the water. "I should have seen this coming!" She spat angrily.  Her blues eyes clouded slightly and tears leaked down her cheeks and into the water.  She closed her eyes, "I should never have gotten involved with a human." 

She tilted her head to the side and gazed at her reflection in the water.  She looked exactly like any other human.  Smooth porcelain skin, long blond hair, and blue eyes...her eyes traveled further down her body and she intently studied the way her smooth skin faded into her tail.  She glared at it.  "I just want to be human..."

She hastily wiped the remaining tears from her face and leaned her head back against the smooth wall of her hideout.  She closed her eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep.

-----

As Serena's eyes slowly fluttered open the next morning, a sinking feeling filled her stomach.  Her exhibit opened today to the public.  Hundreds of people were going to be waiting for her to reveal herself.  They would gawk at the half-fish and half-human freak.  Serena shook her head in disgust.    Maybe she would stay hidden in this cave.  Nobody could reach her then.

Suddenly an idea popped into her head.  That's what Kyle would expect her to do, right?  Mope over him and how he rejected her.  Serena huffed out a breath, she couldn't let that happen.  Sure, she was devastated, but that was not going to keep her from showing him what he was missing out on. She would show him that she was fine and how she would make it without him in her life.

She stretched and eased herself down into the water, loving the feeling of the cold seawater as she submerged.  She flicked her tail twice and propelled herself out of her 'room' and into the tunnel.  The entrance was shrouded by seaweed and Serena glanced through it. Oh! So many people.  She backed up into the tunnel again.  There were so many people there just to see her.  Serena ran a hand through her long blond har and made sure she looked decent before she slowly eased herself out of the cover of the cave and the seaweed.

Through the glass she could hear people cheer as she revealed herself.  She swam slowly along the sand, stirring it up as she moved forward.  She smiled and ran a hand through the sand before pushing off of it.  She smiled and waved towards the audience as they caught a glimpse of her shiny, beautiful tail.  They clapped, cheered, and waved back at her.  Serena moved smoothly from one end of the tank to the other, making sure everyone got the chance to see her.  

Back and forth she swam, occasionally spinning or doing a flip to entertain her guests.  As people left, more filled their places to see the aquarium's prized attraction.  Serena didn't know how long she had been swimming when she saw a familiar figure move to stand at the front of the tank.

It was Kyle.

He watched her intently with those blue eyes, his mouth in a hard line.  Serena met his gaze for a fraction of a second before turning around and swimming the other way.  When she swam back in his direction she saw a smaller figure with her arm laced through his.  Serena snarled and turned away.

Wait a minute...

Serena peered over her shoulder as Kyle and the girl beside him continued to stare at her.

The small frame.

The long blond hair.

The bright blue eyes.

The necklace with a single pearl attached to it.

Serena gasped.

It was Serah.