Sister Rivalry

Serena snorted, "Yeah right."  Kyle ran a hand through his hair while Serah arched an eyebrow, "You think I'm lying?"

Serena glared at her younger sister. "But you knew." she hissed in a low voice.  "All those times you visited the aquarium.  You knew about my feelings for Kyle."

Suddenly a flicker of silver caught Serena's eye and she looked from her sister straight into Kyle's eyes as she moved closer to him.  She placed a hand over her mouth, gasping loudly.  "Serah please tell me you didn't do this."  

Kyle had gone perfectly still and Serena could glance at his once-blue eyes to see the shimmering, silver lining around both irises.  "No." Serena whispered.

As descendants of the ancient group of creatures known as Sirens, mermaids were gifted with enchanting voices that could hypnotize those around them.  This trance could allow the mermaid to demand anything in their wishes from their victim.  Although the act is forbidden among the mermaids, it is often used to erase the memories of humans who have accidentally stumbled upon mermaid coves or those who have put a coven in danger.

"You told Kyle to say all of those things, didn't you?  With The Siren's Song."  Serena continued to study Kyle's eyes.

Serah nodded slowly, "I had no plans of building a relationship with him, Sister.  I just needed to find a way to get to you."

"That's not a relationship, Serah!  You're using your Siren heritage to make him say and do what you want.  You sang to him and put him in a trance so he would follow all of your commands."  Serena felt a wave of relief wash over her knowing that the Kyle she had grown to care for may still be present in this hypnotized body.

"But he's so beautiful, Serena.  As soon as I met him, I knew that I needed him to be my boyfriend.  I wanted him." She paused. "But without The Song, Kyle was never interested in me.  He said he was interested in someone else so I-"

Serena laughed harshly, "So you pursue the one person I grew attached to during my time on land.  Serah how could you?  To your own sister who's been locked away in some fish tank?  And you weren't going to tell me that he was in the trance.  Who have you become?"

It was Serah's turn to laugh harshly. "I have become my own person, Serena.  Someone who doesn't have to live in the shadow of their perfect older sister."  Her voice quivered slightly, "Even Father prefers you."

"You know that's not true, Serah."

"Oh but it is, Serena.  Just face it.  Every merman wanted to marry you.  Even the prince.  Nobody wanted to give Serena's little sister any attention."

Serena sighed, "Father always tried to marry me.  I didn't have a connection with any of them, you know that."

Serah ignored her, "And then I met Kyle.  And I thought he was the most beautiful human being I had ever laid eyes on.  I began talking to him, thinking I had a chance."  She looked down, "But when the dating subject came up, he quickly told me that he had feelings for a very pretty blonde that he knew he could never be with.  And I knew he was talking about you."

Serena was silent as her thoughts began to overwhelm her.  Was her sister really this envious of her?

"Serena." 

"Yeah?"  Serena looked back at her sister.

"I will help you get out of this.  There's no way they're taking you to Australia." She paused, "But I don't think I can let Kyle go."