Don't run (Chapter 1)

"Is this what justice means to you?" Neuvillette had thought those words over in his head since that day. The Opera house had been silent. Not even Lady Furina dared to utter a word. The always loud and chatty archon had suddenly gone quiet and was staring intensely as Neuvillette had said that single word that would haunt both him and the man in the handcuffs forever. "Guilty" Neuvillette had said. 

He said it even though he knew it was not true. The man he had just sentenced to 20 years of exile in the fortress of Meropide was just as innocent as any other person in the court. He knew he was innocent. He had gone out of his way to investigate the case himself. He knew everything there was to know about him, Wriothesley, an 18-year-old man whose words had shaken Neuvillette. "Is this what justice means to you?" he had said. Neuvillette was suddenly not so sure anymore. In his many years as Chief Justice of Fontaine, he had never questioned if he was doing the right thing. But just what is justice anyway? And does he have the right to decide other's futures so easily? Should the law always be upheld?

"Monsieur Neuvillette?" A squeaky voice said. Sedene, the Melusine who worked behind the desk at Palais Memoria, looked at Neuvillette curiously.

"Yes, Sedene?" Neuvilette said gently. He was known as cold and apathetic and rarely showed anyone his softer side, though the Melusines were an exception.

"The files for the next trial have arrived," Sedene said, as she placed a bunch of documents on Neuvillette's desk, as if he didn't have enough work to do.

"Thank you, Sedene'' Neuvillette said, sighing softly at the new batch of papers. He started working again, and luckily it was quickly done. Neuvillette then realized he had no more work to do. This was a rare phenomenon, as Neuvillette always had work to do. In these rare moments, he would go for a walk.

 He decided to do so and stood up to leave. He left the Palais Memoria and walked the same way he always would, up the hill and to a secluded spot. He stood there and looked at the waters of Fontaine, the nation of justice and water. A nation that carried a heavy burden, the prophecy. According to the prophecy, the waters will rise and swallow all of Fontaine, and the hydro archon will remain weeping on her throne. 

Neuvillette knew the prophecy was true. He also knew there was no solution and that the end was close. But for now, he would enjoy the view of Fontaine. Just as he was about to walk back to Palais Memoria. Someone approached him. Neuvillette had never met anyone in this spot before and did not expect someone else to come here. But there he was, the man whose words still haunted Neuvillette. 

Wriothesley smiled at Neuvillette, the two men stared at each other for a moment before Wriothesley finally broke the silence. "Funny seeing you here, I thought the great chief justice never left his office" Wriothesley joked. Neuvillette looked at him "Never is a long time, even I cannot stay inside for that long ''. Wriothesley only smiled at Neuvillette's response. They stood in silence for a moment before Wriothesley once more spoke "May I accompany you back to your office? I have something I wish to discuss with you, Monsieur Neuvillette'' "Of course," Neuvillette had said, despite initially wanting to avoid talking to the duke. 

They walked back together and entered Neuvillette's office, where they sat down. "So, what do you wish to discuss?" Neuvilette asked, dreading the answer. "Hah, straight to the point, as expected of you," Wriothesley grinned "Well, I was wondering if I could see the papers from my trial?". The atmosphere was suddenly much more serious, and they stared intensely at each other. "What makes you think I have those papers?" Neuvillette mumbled, hoping to avoid the topic, but Wriothesley clearly wasn't going to give up. "We both know that if anyone has those papers, it's you, Monsieur".