Saving (Chapter 19)

Panic rose through Fontaine when people realized the Iudex was gone. It took a few hours before Furina realized she could no longer feel Neuvillette's presence in Fontaine, and she quickly started teleporting around looking for him, to no luck.

When word got out about his disappearance, all of Fontaine searched everywhere and found nothing. He was truly gone. 

It didn't take long before people turned to their archon, Lady Furina, the darling of Fontaine, who tried to make it seem like everything was under control. But she was struggling. She couldn't find Neuvillette, and not only were all trials put on halt, but she also had to do all his paperwork. She would complain and bother Neuvillette when she finally found him, but something told her this was very wrong, and she felt afraid. Like the future of Fontaine was uncertain now, and she couldn't do anything.

As the search continued, Wriothesley was kept in confinement for a while. 'To make sure he didn't do anything stupid.' Right. As if he could do anything about this anyway. He had no idea where that place had been, nor how to get there. He just waited around, the guilt slowly eating away at him.

It took days before Wriothesley was released and free to do as before all this happened. He didn't see that masked jerk again, and he didn't see Matheo. Unfortunately. He would have liked to rip his fingernails off and rub salt in the wounds, and he would if he ever found him again.

The panic had reached the fortress as well, and it didn't help Wriothesley with his guilt to constantly be asked by inmates if he knew anything about Neuvillette's disappearance. He was always afraid someone had found out it was him, but in the end, people were just desperate for information. 

He had looked for clues, anything to save the Iudex, but he found nothing. There was no such thing as an empty domain that only contained a single bubble of suffering. It was truly hopeless, and for every day that went by, Wriothesley felt worse and worse. It got to the point where he felt like he could hear Neuvillette's screams in his mind, and he knew for every second he wasted, he would only suffer more.

He thought, who could help him save Neuvillette? Who knew what to do? Who could possibly know where he was? And he didn't like the answer. Not at all actually. He knew the only option was Furina. He had always found her annoying, but maybe paying her a visit in this crisis could prove to be more fruitful.

He went to see the archon. Or he went to make an appointment, which was immediately denied. So he wrote a little note, saying he had information about Neuvillette's disappearance, and sure enough he was let in.

To be honest, Lady Furina looked like shit. She was not near as glamorous as she normally would be. She stared at him expectantly, and he saw her eyes were red. Had she cried? Perhaps she was under more pressure than he thought.

"Well? Do you have information, or did you lie, Duke?" Lady Furina asked sharply. Seems like she picks up Neuvillette's habits when she's distressed.

"I do have information, Lady Furina... But I fear you will not like it," he began.

"I will take whatever I can get. So speak."

"It is my fault."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"