The morning after (Chapter 26)

The sun timidly peeked through the curtains, casting a soft glow across the room. Neuvillette stirred, his eyelids fluttering as consciousness slowly returned. The warmth he felt wrapped around him instantly brought back the events of the night before. He shifted slightly and found himself in the embrace of Wriothesley, his arm draped protectively around him. The moment felt so peaceful. Neuvillette couldn't remember the last time he had slept so deeply before.The memory of their kiss lingered in his mind, causing a blush to creep up his neck. He turned his head slightly to find Wriothesley still peacefully asleep, his face relaxed in slumber. Their moment of vulnerability, the shared comfort, and the unexpected kiss were now pieces of a puzzle waiting to be addressed.

Taking a deep breath, Neuvilette carefully extracted himself from Wriothesley's arms, trying not to disturb his sleep. He sat on the edge of the bed, his thoughts swirling with a mixture of apprehension and anticipation.A soft groan from behind him made Neuvillette turn. Wriothesley, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, looked up at him, a hint of surprise flickering across his face as he noticed Neuvillette was awake.

"Hey," he greeted, his voice still husky from sleep.

"Morning," Neuvillette replied softly, his gaze meeting his.

There was a brief silence, both unsure of how to begin the conversation. Last night's kiss hung between them, a palpable shift in their relationship."About last night," Wriothesley started. His expression was a mix of uncertainty and sincerity."Yeah, about that," Neuvillette echoed, knowing he couldn't avoid it.They sat there, grappling for words, their unspoken feelings looming large in the quiet morning.

"I... I didn't mean to overstep any boundaries," Wriothesley confessed, his eyes searching Neuvillette's for understanding.

Neuvillette shook his head, a gentle smile playing on his lips. "No, you didn't. I... It was fine."

Relief washed over Wriothesley's features, but a trace of hesitation lingered. "I just didn't want to ruin anything. I know I've messed up many times before."

Neuvillette reached out, placing his hand on his. "I did like it. I'm not sure why, but it felt nice."

Their gazes held, a silent conversation passing between them. The unspoken emotions, the moments shared, and the underlying connection. They were undeniable.

"I've been scared to say it, but I think I've... I've fallen for you," Wriothesley admitted, his vulnerability laid bare.

Neuvillette's heart skipped a beat, a surge of emotions overwhelming him. "I don't know what to say."

Their eyes locked, the air thick.

"I love you," Wriothesley said softly, the words hanging in the air.

Neuvillette's eyes glistened with unshed tears, a radiant smile spreading across his face. "I'm sorry, but I don't know exactly what I feel. I am truly humbled and glad you love me. I just need to figure out how I feel now."

With the weight of their confessions now spoken and Neuvillette's less-than-satisfying response. Wriothesley and Neuvillette sat there, an uncomfortable silence enveloping them.

"So, what now?" Wriothesley finally broke the silence, a hint of uncertainty lacing his words.

Neuvillette looked at him, a soft smile gracing his lips. "Now, we figure it out together. Take it one step at a time."

He reached for his hand, intertwining their fingers, a silent promise echoing in the gesture."I'll wait as long as you need me to, Neuvillette."

"Thank you."

Wriothesley looked at Neuvillette, admiring him once more. It had become a habit of his, to stare at and appreciate every detail about him. He was the symphony playing in his heart with each beat. His presence was a blessing, his kindness, resilience, and an unspoken depth a gift that stirred his very essence. In him, he found solace, a sanctuary from the chaos of the world, and the danger threatening to harm them wherever they went.

With each glance exchanged, he felt the universe aligning, conspiring to bring their paths together. His voice resonated within him, a melody he longed to hear for eternity. His eyes held galaxies of untold stories, each flicker, a glimpse into the depths of his being that he yearned to dive into and explore.

He traced the contours of his face with his gaze, memorizing every detail, every line of color in his eyes, a map leading him to the treasure of his soul. The way he spoke, with a gentle cadence that could calm the wildest storms within him, left him in awe of his grace.

His mere existence was a masterpiece, an artistry that made his heart ache with love for him. In his presence, time seemed to both stand still and race forward. And he longed to express the depth of his love in every tick of the clock and every stationary moment. He breathed to one day be able to express the symphony of emotions echoing within him, but words felt inadequate, unable to capture exactly what he felt. Instead, he hoped that his actions, his unwavering presence, and his patience would whisper volumes of his devotion. 

He hoped Neuvillette would one day realize and accept how much Wriothesley loved him and hopefully love him back.

They ate their breakfast in silence, the morning sun casting a bittersweet glow upon them. Wriothesley reached out tentatively, his hand hovering in the air, unsure whether to offer comfort or respect his space.

Neuvillette, sensing his silent gesture, leaned into the touch, seeking solace in his presence. He was grateful Wriothesley was there for him and respected his space, even though his mind was filled with confusing emotions. Did he love Wriothesley? He had never been in love before, and it wasn't something small for a dragon. If he really did love him, he would never love anyone else. Dragons live for an eternity, and they only have one mate. Could that mate be Wriothesley? He wasn't sure, but he did know that even if he did, he didn't want to drag him into the mess of being together. It would only end up hurting Wriothesley in the end.

I just love ruining it.