Rebuilding (Chapter 20)

Wriothesley sat on the couch in Neuvillette's living room for god knows how long. He felt like it would be wrong to stay beside him, but even worse, to just leave. So he sat there, unable to do anything but wait. Not that he would have been allowed anywhere near Neuvillette anyway because Lady Furina kept him far away from his room. It took two days for Neuvillette to wake up and another two before Wriothesley was allowed to see him. He entered the room quietly and went over to the bed where Neuvillette was sitting. He could see the hurt in his eyes, and he sat down on the edge of the bed, keeping a respectful distance. He opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out, and instead, Neuvillette spoke.

"Why did you do it?"

"Monsiuer Neuvillette, I am so sorry-"

"Spare it."

"..."

"Why did you betray me? Why did you hand me over like that? Was it because you hate me?"

"No, please listen, I just-"

"I don't understand, Wriothesley. Why do you keep hurting me? And why can't I just shut you out? Usually, I am never hurt by these kinds of things, and I couldn't care less. But not when it's you. It hurts."

"I'm sorry, Neuvillette, i truly am... May I explain?"

"yes..."

Wriothesley looked into Neuvillette's eyes and took a deep breath before he began.

"I was ambushed while out searching for more information. They told me to help them get to you, or they would burn me alive and blow up Meropide. I know I made the wrong choice. I know I shouldn't have betrayed you. I thought the liquid thing wouldn't work on you or that you would have detected my intentions so you could stop me, and we could solve it together. I never wanted to hurt you, Neuvillette, never. And those notes were not true. They were at least four years old and written in frustration. I don't hate you, not at all."

They stared at each other in silence before Wriothesley spoke once more.

"I understand what I did was unforgivable. I just hope I can somehow make it up to you."

"Wriothesley?"

"Yes?"

"Why didn't you go to me for help?"

"They kept an eye on me, so I couldn't."

"Oh... Do you really not hate me?"

"Of course, I don't hate you. Please don't think that."

"But I exiled you to Meropide-"

"And gave me a chance at life. If I hadn't gone to Meropide, I might just have been killed or lived at an orphanage before being thrown out."