Alternative Ending (Miscarriage/Stillbirth)

Some of these are set early in the pregnancy so some may not know the gender of the babies and in Calum's case they don't know that it's twins. Don't read it if you're not comfortable with it

Luke: You groan softly and roll over in bed, moving closer to Luke "you okay baby?" He asks sleepily, his voice scratchy "it still hurts Luke" you whine, nuzzling his neck "oh baby girl, I'm sorry" he cooes, kissing you softly, his hands moving to caress your small bump "can I get anything for you? Some water?" He offers, you nod, turning over again, trying to get comfortable. You bury your face into the pillow when Luke gets back, flicking on the light, but the abrupt noise of glass shattering jerks you up "you're bleeding" Luke's hollow words swirl around your head before you realize their meaning, he is by your side at once, helping you to stand up despite the pain, which is now a nagging reminder of what you have lost. You are shocked by the amount of blood on the sheets "it's common in many mothers, it's not your fault" Luke says gently, his strong arms guiding your shaking body to the bathroom and helping you into the shower "let's get you cleaned up, yeah love?" He whispers, turning on the cool water and peeling your clothes off "I'm sorry" you say faintly, he shakes his head, tutting softly "don't be, we'll try again okay?" He murmurs, gently rubbing the blood away from your thighs. When you climb out of the shower, he wraps his arms around you and rests his cheek on top of your head, and the two of you stand in the middle of the bathroom crying softly in each others arms.

Calum: It was so sudden. Neither of you saw the black ice, and before you knew it, you were spinning off the road, the car doing flips and somersaults through the snow, coming to a halt only when it smashed into a tree, landing upside down in the middle of a snow bank. Waking up the pain hits like a train, you groan softly and become aware of a familiar voice shouting nearby "let me see her! You shut the fuck up and let me see her! She's fucking pregnant! Yes of coure I'm the fucking father! Just let me through I have to see her!" there are people surrounding you all dressed in scrubs, but that's all you can take in before you drift to sleep again. When you next awake, you can hear gentle sobs by the side of your bed, and you can feel a warm hand in yours. You struggle to open your eyes, adjusting quickly to the dim light, you can see Calum sitting beside your bed, hunched over, he has a bloody bandage on his forehead and his arm is in a cast "Cal?" You croak, his head snaps up, his brown eyes rimmed by dull purple bruising and swollen red "it's all my fault" he whimpers, his hand gripping yours tightly "what is?" You ask, your eyebrows furrowed "the crash, it was my fault, I hurt you, and-and we lost-we lost the baby...I just-I'm so sorry, it's my fault" he whimpers, rocking gently back and forth, you sit in silence, shock and grief wracking your body "it's-it's not your fault Cal" you choke, shaking your head, tears streaming down your face, you don't know what else to say, completely at a loss for words.

Ashton: "Why isn't he crying? What's wrong?! Is something wrong?" The doctor was holding your newborn son in his gloved hands, a frown etched on his face, pressing his stethoscope to his tiny chest, his expression doesn't change as he gently hands his still body to a nurse "what's going on? What's wrong with him?" Ashton demands, gripping your hand tightly "where are you taking my son?!" He cries, his voice stringy in panic. The doctor gestures to him and murmurs something in his ear, patting Ashton's shoulder sympathetically. You are in a daze, the painkillers only just starting to wear off, and you are so confused as to what is going on "Ash..." you whimper, he rushes back to your side in an instant, taking your hand in his trembling fingers "baby I'm so sorry" he murmurs, pressing his lips to your knuckles "I'm so so sorry" tears are forming in his hazel eyes, but he struggles to keep them from spilling over, he swallows thickly, trying to stop his voice from cracking, he opens his mouth to speak, but then closes it again "go to sleep okay? We'll talk when you wake up" he says softly. Your sleep is fitful and short, and you wake with a start, covered in a thin layer of cold sweat, Ashton is sitting by your bedside, staring with empty eyes at his feet, his whole body crumpled and folded in on itself "Ash?" His head darts up, his face ashen and his eyes bloodshot "where is he?" You ask hoarsely, excited to meet your son, Ashton's eyes fill with tears and he brushes them away fiercely "he...they tried to save him (Y /N) they really did-his lungs-he couldn't breath-he didn't suffer long...the doctor said...said he was-gone before-before he was even out...his lungs collapsed, we don't know why..." he trails off, his thumb rubbing over the back of your hand as you take in the information "we-we tried so hard Ash, and we waited so long...Ash I want my son" you bite your lip, taking shaky breaths as you are overwhelmed by tears "I'm so sorry baby" Ashton whispers, kissing your forhead lightly, he sits next to you and wraps his arm around your shoulder, resting his cheek on top of your head.

Michael: You smile excitedly at Michael, squeezing his hand "I can't wait to see our baby" you whisper, he chuckles, kissing you softly "I know...I can't believe we've made a baby. We're going to be parents" he grins, you shift on the chair and smooth your flimsy hospital gown, your heart racing as the doctor comes in, smiling warmly "Mr and Mrs Clifford, are you ready to take a first look at baby?" She asks, you nod excitedly "are you experiencing any discomfort? Nausea? Back pain? Tenderness in the breasts?" She continues, you think for a while "I did for the first month or so, but these past weeks have been fairly smooth" you admit, the doctor frowns and Michael runs his thumb gently over your knuckles, clenching and unclenching his jaw "how big is the baby doctor?" He blurts, his eyes shining "about the size of a peanut" she explains, smiling at your curious husband. She snaps on her rubber gloves and squeezes gel onto your abdomen, smiling as you shudder slightly "it's cold" you giggle nervously, Michael kisses the back of your hand, keeping his lips on your skin as you both watch the monitor, you feel slight pressure on your abdomen and a fuzzy grey picture appears "that is your uterus" the doctor grins, you bite your lip, watching intently "and this is your baby" you gasp, tears filling your eyes "wh-what about the heartbeat doctor-I don't hear a heartbeat" Michael stammers, you notice then the doctor's deep frown, she takes her stethoscope and touches it to different points on your stomach, but her frown only gets deeper and your stomach drops "I'm sorry Mr and Mrs Clifford...I'm afraid I can't find a heartbeat" she says quietly, you are still as she wipes the gel from your stomach and leaves the room. You are both silent all the way home, you crawl into bed and Michael lies next to you holding you close to his chest.

This is not the end and I am continuing the story in my new book Baby Series I'd love if you would read it. Lots of love.