thirty one

word count: 2.2k

~

'Cara Dune, Marshal of the New Republic. I heard rumours you might have gone legit,' Mando said and handed Cara's badge back to her. She grinned and tossed it on the table as she winked at Logan, who couldn't help but offer a lazy grin back at her.

Logan was exhausted and dejected. They needed to get Grogu back as soon as possible.

'I wouldn't go that far,' Cara murmured proudly, trying to remain humble.

Logan told her quietly, 'Cara, we need your help...'

'Name it.'

'I need you to locate someone in the prison registry,' Mando said, putting one hand on his hip.

'Let's see what I can do,' Cara muttered and moved towards her small device on her desk.

'Ex-Imperial sharpshooter, last name Mayfield.'

'Apprehended near the Dilestri system on a derelict prison ship... Migs Mayfield. Serving years in the Karthon Chop Fields for springing a prisoner himself. Accessory to the death of a New Republic officer... Huh. Sounds like a real piece of work. What do you want with him?' Cara asked them both in confusion.

They shared a small look and Mando told her, 'We need to spring him to help us locate Moff Gideon's light cruiser.'

'You know how I feel about the Empire,' Cara said through a deep sigh. 'But these stripes... mean there are rules I need to follow.'

'They have the kid,' Logan told her. It was clear Logan didn't need to say anything else. She was in.

+

Logan opened her eyes at the sound of heavy footsteps entering the small compartment in Boba's ship where she had been sleeping. There was only one bed, so the passengers of Slave 1 had been taking turns resting — this was also due to the limited chairs they had in the carrier, and Logan was sick of sitting on the floor.

The poor woman barely had her head resting on the pillow for more than a few minutes before she was disturbed.

'Are you feeling okay?'

She sat up and offered Mando a small smile, scooting her bottom closer to the wall. Mando sat down on the edge of the bed and turned to look at her leg, where he moved her pants and inspected her healing scars. They had healed, but they now forever serve as a reminder of the lengths she would go through to protect Grogu.

'I'm okay. Are you?' She asked quietly. He had lost so much in the last day and a half, and she knew he typically would try and avoid talking about it.

He remained silent. That was his answer. There was nothing to say to make anything okay.

'We're going to get him back,' she said quietly. 'Even if it's the last thing we do. We're getting Grogu back.'

'I don't want to put you through the trouble we're going to face against the Empire...' Her heart swelled at Mando's concern. 'If something happens to you too... It's just better if you don't come with us.'

Logan rolled her eyes and shuffled along the bed to sit next to him. Her hand slowly found his and she laced her finger through his own.

'I share your worry... But we are strong, we will get the kid back, and when we do, we will help him find who he needs to. Okay?' She asked, bowing her head to look at him in the visor. Truth be told, Logan didn't know if Grogu had found another Jedi using the seeing stone. She couldn't remember much before the Razor Crest blew up. 'Okay, Din?'