PROLOGUE

The North stretched before them, an endless expanse of now-broken trees punctuated by the occasional broken ground. Samson stood beside Mirranda, his blue eyes filled with determination and conviction, as they gazed upon the unforgiving landscape. A cold wind bit at their skin, but Samson didn't falter in his resolve. "Hold me." Mirranda pleaded, her voice muffled by sobs. She yearned for Samson's comforting embrace. Instantly, his powerful arms formed a stronghold around her curved frame as she shifted her spider-form back into her spine. She held tight to him, resting her head on his chest, soaking in the heat radiating from his body. 

The sound of his steady heartbeat pulsed in her ears and provided the solace she craved.

It was difficult for Mirranda to wrap her head around the fact that her sister had changed so drastically. That once-loving sibling she had grown up with now was a stranger to her. The pain in her heart weighed heavily on her soul, making each step forward feel like a struggle. Samson muttered, "I don't think that was Rose we chased." The cold air stung her flushed cheeks, but she couldn't help but feel a warmth radiating from within her whenever she gazed at Samson. His slightly muscular physique was accentuated by the thin layer of sweat that gleamed upon his skin, making him appear even more handsome than he already was.

Mirranda exploded with a yell as she pulled away from him and unleashed her fury on the nearest tree limb. She kicked it from the path and watched as it splintered across the murky abyss. Exhausted and spent, Mirranda collapsed onto her knees. "She acts like she's three years old again!" she raged. Mirranda couldn't accept that something had taken her sister over. The sight of Rose's vacant, blue-eyed stare and the unnatural shadows that clung to her skin unnerved Mirranda. Those blue eyes, blue as forget me nots and not of a Spiderlings. It was as if she were looking at a stranger wearing Rose's body, like a puppeteer.

Samson was fuming now, rage coursing through his veins. He seized hold of a thick branch and heaved it onto the knoll with a crash. He adjusted his pauldron before making his way to Mirranda. He knelt beside her and sought her black-eyed gaze, breaking her out of her grief-induced prison. Mirranda was shaking uncontrollably yet managed to force back both the fear and pain. Samson embraced her tightly and repeated a gentle whisper in her ear, "That wasn't Rose."

She opened her eyes, fear and trembling gone as she gazed upon him. He smiled at her, and comforted Mirranda with a tender kiss. The fear was replaced with a newfound strength. With Samson leading the way, they walked back to the tower beneath ominous clouds. "Listen, why don't we get out of the rain, and we'll search for Rose later?" Samson said. Mirranda nodded in agreement, her lips twisting into a knowing smile. Her voice was like a gentle whisper. "Yeah. Alright. I'm worried about my sister, that's all." Her tone was full of uncertainty.

Samson thrust open the looming iron gates before them, revealing the gloom of the tower. He ventured to the back of the chamber, where a hearth perched like a sentry. He fumbled with the leather pouch at his loincloth and pulled out a piece of flint. With a swift motion, Samson struck it against the steel of his scimitar, sparking a fire that roared to life within the hearth. The flames danced and crackled, casting flickering shadows across the room. As the heat radiated outward, the smell of smoke filled the air, blending with the scent of the North's trees wafting through a broken lattice.

Samson's voice was strong yet young as he spoke, "We'll find Rose. I'm not going anywhere." As they huddled together in the tower, Samson's innate warmth was a welcome reprieve from the chilling reality. Mirranda felt herself becoming lost in the depths of his eyes, her breath hitching as he leaned in closer to her. For a brief moment in time, all that mattered was the love that bound them together, a connection that transcended her trepidation. Her fingers traced the intricate patterns etched onto the donkey skull pauldron that adorned his shoulder.

The roaring fire heated the chamber, and a cozy blanket kept them both warm. Mirranda nestled into Samson's embrace, feeling safer now. She closed her eyes, allowing the sound of Samson's voice and the crackling fire to wash over her. She focused on the feel of his smooth skin against hers, the sensation of their intertwined fingers as they sought solace in each other's presence. Her nose found its way to his neck, and her cheek touched his pointed ear. For this moment, she felt like everything would be alright. Her worries were forgotten and her love for Samson grew ever stronger. Together they drifted off to sleep, Mirranda dreaming of Samson and her beloved sister Rose--

Soon enough, the stars faded away and the horizon began to burn with brilliant orange. The sun's rays illuminated the ravaged trees of the North's border. Mirranda stood atop a rocky precipice, bowing her head reverently before the memorial of stones. She was honoring the memory of her family who were buried beneath. She had hoped not to honor Rose's. She looked up, watching the sun's beams cross the majestic land as it unfolded before her. Mirranda's gaze shifted to the rolling hills stretching out. The valleys that cut deep into the Fonde, and the dark, crumbling tower were blanketed by a thick veil of dust and debris.

The air was still and quiet, with only the occasional chirp of a bird or rustle of a small creature. Mirranda breathed in deeply, trying to take in any sweet scent of the area as she could and felt the soil beneath her feet. This was her homeland. The one that their parents had sacrificed so much to protect for her and her sister. It not only caused her sadness to see it in such disarray, but it stoked a fury within her heart that burned brighter than any flame. She glanced over her shoulder at Samson, her elven love. He stood a few feet away, his piercing blue eyes taking in the same vista with wonderment and sadness. He met her gaze, smiled, and Mirranda could feel her heart swell. "Are you ready?" he asked. She nodded, and he stepped forward towards her...