Chapter 15: The Message

So it was done - Cardamon's messenger's mission was complete. She had delivered the parchment at the Chestme doors. Chestmian knights strode with purpose through the arched halls of the King's court. They carried a message from Cardamon castle, its seal bearing the insignia of the young Spiderling queen, Rose. The knights stood tall and proud, their armor glinting in the flickering torchlight. As they approached the throne, a hush fell over the court. All eyes were on them as they delivered their message.

As the knights presented the parchment to Nimmod, the formidable lizard lord of Chestme, Ramses stood regally beside him. His Westerian Advisor's beauty radiated in contrast to Nimmod's stillness.

His face was an expression of calculated indifference as he spoke. "They claim they will attack," Nimmod declared firmly. "Why attack the majestic City Tower? Home of the noble Glenoids?" His voice rose with passion as he continued. "I swear on my honor I will not let them take Chestme!"Ramses gazed at Nimmod, hiding how entranced she was by his overpowering leadership. His voice was like smooth honey to her, "If they confront Chestme, I won't back down!"

Nimmod's teeth gritted as Ramses dipped her head in a sign of reverence. "Your courage and wisdom are greatly appreciated," she praised. Ramses yearned to truly tell him she would do anything, even if it meant sacrificing herself in the process.

Yet, he had made his feelings known and she wanted to uphold his wishes. 'You dull twit!' She heard Valaria's aching, scratching voice from within and ignored it. 'Grab what you want! What we both want!'

Nimmod stood strong and resolute in his convictions, and Ramses couldn't help but admire him and feel heated around him yet, as a detriment to Valaria she kept her calm. She glanced around the court, noting the knights turning and leaving the royal hall.

"Thank you," she murmured as she stepped closer to the King. "For making these walls feel safe. I am ready to do my part for Your Majesty's cause and I am certain all your people share that sentiment."

A flicker of joy danced in Nimmod's onyx eyes. "...and I thank you," he replied, his voice heavy with emotion. "You have given me renewed courage by being in my presence."

Ramses took a deep breath and bravely knelt, her eager yet anxious heart pounded. All of their preparations would lead to an offense if they should come. She held firm in her feelings that Chestme would overcome as she stared at the prism puzzle sitting on the arm of Nimmod's throne. It was more than a puzzle, she knew that now. It was a small-scale model of a weapon.

The King strode from his throne room and surveyed the expanse of the courtyard, brimming with expectant Glenoids awaiting a speech from their king.

Ramses stood a respectable distance behind, ever vigilant. Nimmod's voice rang out across the kingdom; strong yet calm. "We will make our stand! We will not surrender Chestme to Castle Cardamon! We shall remain resolute in defense of our tower city. If they cross the first gates, we'll fight until our last breath!" he proclaimed.

Nimmod's words entranced her. His power, his status, his toned body all stirred a feeling deep within her. Her heart raced, her skin flushed as she tried to keep her composure in the presence of his commanding figure.

The courtyard reverberated as thunderous cheers erupted. Nimmod felt a chill run down his spine as they roared his name. Ramses smiled and looked up at Nimmod. 'If only, if only.' She thought, feeling her heart tear into pieces.

Nimmod pounded his staff, echoing around the courtyard. "Behold! We must face any that threaten our way of life! Face them with courage and strength!" he declared. As he marched back to the royal hall, Ramses followed in stride beside him. The two of them would stand united against the Queen's armies. With a powerful alliance, they could not be stopped, with the prism weapon being built below the city, and with Nimmod's courage and strength They were ready to fight whatever came.