Chapter 10: Rose's Decision

The air was heady and thick with aromas. A strange but enticing stew simmered on a hearth set hanging in a metal kettle in the center of the room. The spicy aroma mingled with the smell of the mahogany wood interior. It had obviously been brewing for some time, filling the chamber with a smokey ambience.

The two elves huddled together, Hilda and Eddipus lingering at the flame and eating from the stew. The dissonant notes the Winds floated through the air like flocks of birds, whispering in Eddipus's ear.

Eddipus kissed Hilda on the head. "My faithful woman, I love you,"-the white-haired woman smiled and blushed-"and I you, husband."Eddipus leaned back in his chair, arm wrapping around Hilda. "They've failed."Eddipus's face was shrouded in layers of mystery that gave no indication of worry.

"Failed, Eddipus? How do you know this?"

"The Winds. They say Samson managed," Eddipus sighed. "Yet Rose is teetering on the edge of madness." His eyes teared up like water from the very tip of a mountain, hoping beyond hope.

"They'll come through. No matter what happens to Rose, I know it."

Eddipus looked up at Hilda and nodded at her, knowing the Winds spoke to her as well. "I trust you." he said over the crackle of the fire.

Eddipus leaned again against his chair, contemplating a while, flicking his eyes back to Hilda. She smiled warmly at him and raised her arms to embrace the wise old elvenkind. "Why not?" Eddipus sighed, cracking a good smile back. "Yes. They'll come through."

****

"FOOLS!" Rose screamed, her voice echoing through the hall

"FOOLS!" Rose screamed, her voice echoing through the hall. "Take them away before I decide to have them executed!" Mirranda's sister was no longer the little girl she once knew and loved.

They stood amidst the guardsmen who had weapons trained on them. The tension in the air was palpable, a suffocating atmosphere of fear and betrayal. The guardsmen advanced further towards Mirranda and Samson. They wore masks of stoic professionalism. The young lovers exchanged glances, communicating their unspoken bond.

"Please, Rose," Mirranda pleaded, her eyes glistening with tears. "You don't have to do this. Come home."

"Ah, dear sister," Rose replied with a smirk, her eyes narrowing. "You had your chance to be with me once. You chose to abandon me for your own selfish desires. Now it is my turn to abandon you. I am home."

"NO!" Samson shouted, stepping between Mirranda and the guardsmen protectively, his scimitar at the ready. "You will not harm her!"

"Samson, no," Mirranda yelled, placing a hand on his arm. She knew that any further resistance would only lead to more bloodshed. "We must leave now. We have no choice."Reluctantly, he lowered his weapon.

As they were escorted through the grand halls of Castle Cardamon by Guardsmen led by Danice Malney, Mirranda could not help but feel the weight of their defeat. The once-familiar Rose now felt foreign to her and threatening, tainted by personal rage.