Chapter 3: Meeting with the Mentors

The interior of Eddipus' longhouse in Hilltop Village was a cozy haven, adorned with tapestries depicting past battles. The wooden beams overhead held the roofing firm and secure, while the warm glow of the hearth flickered across the faces of Mirranda, Samson, Eddipus, and Hilda who gathered around it.

"Valaria is not to be underestimated," Eddipus warned, his voice a low growl, punctuating the silence that had settled over the group. "I have faced her treachery before and she violated me."

Mirranda's dark eyes widened at the gravity in Eddipus' voice, Hilda grimaced at the mention of Valaria even touching her man and leaned over to kiss him warmly on the cheek. Eddipus turned and kissed her on the lips. His aged eyes burned at the memory of Val's presence afterward, speaking words of conviction. Val, his ally had guided him to safety through Master Dante who now resided peacefully in the great beyonds in Havenlla. Val had told him that he faced temptation and conquered it. This test of strength and courage was an essential part of his journey at the time. His victory over Valaria's charms had been crucial and led to this very moment.

"Tell us more about her, Eddipus," Mirranda urged, her voice soft, yet resolute. "We need to know what we're up against."

Eddipus sighed deeply, his fingers tracing the wooden grain of a table next to him as he gathered his thoughts. "Valaria is cunning and relentless. She once possessed an innocent clay creation she had made, using her body as a vessel for her evil ambitions. She nearly brought Fonde SSique to its knees before Nyxith managed to drive her spirit out."

"By the Master," Samson muttered, his jaw set with anger and disgust. Mirranda reached for his hand and held it, seeking comfort and offering it in return.

"Lisa can tell you more about the experience," Eddipus spoke. At that moment, a back door to the longhouse opened, and Lisa, the elven medicine woman, entered, followed by Tallik, a former assassin, and scout for the Cardamon royals. They had been friends of Mirranda and Samson since their last adventure together.

"Unfortunately, I cannot join you on your journey," Eddipus admitted, his voice heavy with regret

"Unfortunately, I cannot join you on your journey," Eddipus admitted, his voice heavy with regret. "My old bones are no longer fit for battle. But I trust that you two have the strength and courage to face Valaria."

Mirranda nodded. "We'll do whatever it takes."

"Your bravery is commendable," Eddipus said, his gaze full of admiration. "Come, Lisa, Tallik. Sit by the hearth with us. Regale these two of your experience in Cardamon." Tallik seemed uncomfortable but eventually sat near the hearth. Lisa followed. Mirranda and Samson rushed to embrace them. They shared a warm smile.

"Good to see you again," Lisa said, her white braided hair shimmering in the hearthlight.

Tallik seemed nervous, his dark eyes narrowing as he recalled his own experiences with the evil Valaria. "As Eddipus has said, she is not to be underestimated. She fooled not only me but an entire castle."