Chapter 5: The Dark Wait

The sun shown over Cardamon castle. Guardsman Danice Malney stood tall at his post, his burnished helm and goatee lending an air of quiet, humble dignity to his otherwise unadorned uniform. He surveyed the hall where other guardsmen gathered eagerly around their young ruler.

"Danice," called one of his fellow guardsmen, a man with a thick mustache and a brash grin. "Come and lay at her feet."

"Sorry, Ritna," replied Danice, adjusting his grip on his spear. "I have my duties to attend to."

"Ah, come now," Ritna replied, clapping him on the back. "We're all excited about our new ruler!"

Danice looked away, his eyes on the girl sitting atop the throne. "I humbly respect your enthusiasm, but I cannot ignore my responsibilities."

"Suit yourself," Ritna merely shrugged and stepped back to join the others as they clustered. Their youthful leader was locking eyes with each one of the guardsmen, eyes blue as forget-me-nots. They pierced through to their souls and hypnotized them, creating puppets for her amusement. Danice saw it, felt it, knew it. They were consumed, becoming toys for her twisted desires and following her every beckoning call. Minds fogged over, heartbeats quickened, and inhibitions faded. He had felt this when entering the Queen's bed chambers. This was no innocence. He felt an aura of familiarity. It was like a dark echo of the former queen. He couldn't shake the feeling.

Rose, her seemingly innocent gaze lulled all near her into submission. There was an air of confidence about her, her short black hair framing her face like a dark halo. The guardsmen bowed deeply, breathed deeply of her presence. They offered words of praise and admiration, but Danice remained erect, his eyes never leaving her face as she stood from her throne and approached him.

"Guardsman Malney," Rose addressed him coldly, her voice stern. "I see you haven't adopted the proper show of respect."

"Your Highness," Danice said, inclining his head only enough to acknowledge her. "My loyalty lies with only keeping vigilant and protective."

"Is that so?" Rose asked, her mouth twisted into an enigmatic smirk. "Well, we shall see how long your precious loyalty for me lasts." She swept away from him, lounging onto an ornate cushioned dais, surrounded by guardsmen. They began fanning her while one massaged her shoulders. A servant girl hung plump, fragrant grapes over her lips.

"Danice," Ritna approached him, his tone dismissive. "You still refuse to join us?"

"It's not about joining or not joining," Danice replied, struggling to maintain his composure. "It's about what is right. I will not blindly follow someone who I am sure has her own interests in mind."

Ritna scoffed. "And you think you're so much better than the rest of us for sticking to your old ways? Wake up, Malney! You're a part of the problem!"

"No," Danice conceded, watching as Rose held court with her performing monkeys, the guardsmen hanging on her every word. "But you truly are."

"Stubborn fool," Ritna muttered.

"Better a stubborn fool, than a blind one."

Ritna walked away and joined the others.

Danice knew that he was alone in his convictions, that he was sure in the knowledge that Rose wasn't who she said she was. He watched as she continued to swoon his fellows." Hey, Malney!" called one of the guardsmen, a cruel smile twisting his face. 

"Why don't you come over here and have some fun with us? Or are you too good for that?" 

"Thank you for the invitation, but I'll pass," Danice replied, forcing a tight smile.