Chapter 4: The Ziz

Mirranda and Samson stepped out from Hilltop Village and toward Southern Mountain Range where the vast expanse of Red Tree Valley lay before them. The shimmering orange light of dawn filtered through the purple peaks, painting a glow over the land with its brilliant hues. Mirranda's short black hair whipped around her face in the cool morning breeze as they descended the steps. Lush green vegetation clung to the sides of the mountains. The air was crisp and pure, filling her lungs with a sense of invigoration she hadn't felt since leaving the North.

Samson, walking beside her, scanned the serenity that enveloped them for any sign of danger. The quiet was punctuated only by the occasional calls of birds hidden among Red Tree Valley. The peaceful atmosphere lulled them into a sense of security. As they walked off the final step and rounded a bend in the path to the valley, their tranquility was shattered--

A colossal figure descended from the sky!!!

"It's a Ziz," Samson exhaled, instinctively unsheathing his scimitar and grasping it tight in his hand.

Mirranda stared at the Ziz, her heart pounding in her chest as she took in its colossal size and fearsome appearance. The legends had not done it justice, for this was truly a creature of nightmares, with a wingspan so vast, it blocked out the glow of the sun.

"Stay close," he yelled intensely, swinging his blade, eyes never leaving the beast as it circled above them.

The Ziz swooped down towards them, its razor-sharp talons extended and ready to strike. Mirranda and Samson steeled themselves for the battle that would test their strength and their very will to survive.

Its massive wings beat the air with a force that sent ripples through the trees and stirred up dust from the mountain path. Its eyes, dark and piercing as obsidian, bore into Mirranda and Samson's souls as it hovered menacingly over them. The creature's sheer size dwarfed all other birds in the mountains, its clawed feet alone bigger than Samson's head.

Samson's voice called out with authority. "We have faced and overcome greater adversaries," He said boldly, standing before Mirranda like the chivalrous heroes of old. "Like the Leviamoth, together we'll prevail."Mirranda's eight legs were poised and on edge. Her regular legs were spread wide in a valiant stance.

The chaotic energy of the Ziz threatened to send Mirranda's heart into overdrive. The creature swirled before them, blocking their path. She knew there was no use in trying to flee from its might. If they were ever going to rescue Rose and thwart Valaria, there was no other option but to confront the king of the skies.

A terrifying screech ripped the air, reverberating through the entire Red Tree Valley and Southern mountain range. The Ziz flew in a lethal nosedive, its powerful wings beating with furious speed. Its eyes glinted with predatory intent. Mirranda summoned her will and jumped. She whipped a strand of webbing toward her target. It coiled around the creature's neck like a writhing lasso. She landed on its back like an experienced knight riding a steed into battle. The creature shuddered beneath her, struggling against her tight grip. Mirranda held on.

Samson's gaze blazed like an unwavering paladin as Mirranda crouched low, webbing glistening in hand. In a split second, she had released another web line, capturing Samson in one smooth motion. The beast flinched. Samson climbed up and sat on its back. He gathered his strength for the killing blow with his scimitar, aiming the blade at the back of its neck. Though the fiendish flier tried to unseat them, they clamped on tightly as Mirranda tugged the web string with all her might. Samson raised his scimitar high and cleaved it down with practiced accuracy again and again. He imparted only a searing sensation that was akin to plunging a piece of small hay into a horse's thick flank.