𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐

I pick up the towel from my bed before placing it where it belongs to and walk back into my room to approach the window

I pick up the towel from my bed before placing it where it belongs to and walk back into my room to approach the window. With a gentle tug, I pull back the heavy curtain, revealing the entire wall-sized window. The room is instantly flooded with light, casting a warm glow on everything it touches.

I stand there, motionless, my breath blending with the ambient sounds of the city. The energy of New York City seemed distant, as if a world of its own, yet so close. I look out the window and soak in the cityscape, with those massive buildings reaching for the sky.

Living alone all these years has changed me. I've become quieter, more introspective, and maybe even a little more serious. But standing here, taking in the breathtaking view every night, somehow always convinces me that this change isn't a bad thing. It's a part of my own personal journey, a metamorphosis of sorts.

The window has become my portal, offering glimpses of the world beyond. It gives me a kind of peace every time. Whenever I miss home, it has the power to make me feel better and chase away the homesickness.

Abruptly the doorbell rings and my focus gets instantly pulled in its direction, leaving no room for uncertainty regarding the visitor's identity. I make my way to the door and swing it open. And there she is, arms crossed, casually propped against the doorframe, exuding an aura of contained energy. But her eyes are enough to see how worn out she is right now.

Her footsteps make their way into my apartment, heading straight for the couch where she flops down. "Looks like someone didn't mention they only had a quick five minutes today and had to dash home again," I tease, settling in beside her.

"Shut up" she retorts before inquiring, "Where's my cat?"

"Sleeping in my room." I respond. "Looks like you can finally sit down and have coffee with me," I say as I head to the kitchen, while she remains sprawled on the couch, looking half-dead.

Well, it seems like I haven't properly introduced her yet. Let me rectify that. She is Inaya, the CEO of a famous fashion brand. Six months ago, when I found Bella in the street, I exerted every effort to locate her owner, only to realize my attempts had been in vain. Eventually, I decided to bring her to my own home.

For nearly a week, she stayed with me until Inaya reached out to me after coming across the lost cat post I had shared. As it turns out, Inaya entrusted Bella to her cousin while she was away on a business trip, only to have the cat go missing the same day due to her cousin's negligence. I can still remember the frustration and annoyance in Inaya's voice when she said, "I can't believe she managed to fool me for a whole week!"

After Inaya took her cat back, I asked her if she could leave the cat with me whenever she's busy. And that's how our unexpected friendship started. When I say unexpected, I truly mean it because Inaya is not the kind of person who easily gets close to someone in such a short span of time. Her occasional visits to my home to drop off her cat while she's occupied gradually brought us closer.