Life Saver

Mila's POV:

Excusing myself from Scarlett, I walked over to a near tree and leaned against it looking at my phone. Seeing I had gotten a few messages from my aunt I felt bad for just walking away. But as soon as I had read them, all the guilt, I had felt a second ago vanished into thin air. There she was, my aunt, texting me she went with her friend to a club, and I should catch the bus home. Not only had she completely ignored my calls or the fact that I didn't have my wallet with me but also left me to find the way home myself again. 

I didn't know how to feel at that moment. I wanted to confront her, but I knew that wasn't possible because even if I would scream it at her face, I'm sure that God damn woman wouldn't realise her mistake. She didn't when she left me by myself that night after the convention and she doesn't now. Never in my life have I felt so hopeless and lost. 

Since I had ran into Scarlett today, I knew I had dug myself a deep hole. The glances she sent me said it all, her concerned gaze. I knew very well that she still wanted to report my aunt. Secretly I had hoped to never fulfil that promise I gave her, but with the few messages my aunt just texted me my last chance of avoiding it was gone. This was the proof, the proof that Scarlett was right all along as much as it hurted to admit it.

Looking down at my hands I noticed they were shaking, but not like they usually do, in fact my whole body was trembling. I could feel my throat close up making it hard for me to breathe. Tears blurred my vision as I desperately tried to control whatever the fuck was going on, gasping for air. 

It didn't work, nothing worked, and I felt myself panicking even more. My heart was pondering hard against my ribcage, and I could've sworn it would burst out of my chest every second now. I heard a faint voice in the distance, as if somebody tried to reach out for me but I couldn't do anything. 

"Breathe sweetheart, deep breaths. can you do that for me", I could barely hear Scarlett's voice, as if I was pressed underwater. I shook my head hysterically and tried to answer her: "I- don't know-" was everything I got out before my breath was cut short again. I hated it. I hated it so much. I didn't know why it happened, why I can't get enough air in my lungs, and that made it even scarier. Being consumed by something you know nothing about. 

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a warm sensation against my cheek, I could hear a faint but clear beating sound. "Listen to my heartbeat sweety, copy my breathing.", Scarlett's voice vibrated in her chest. I tried to take long deep breaths like Scarlett showed me. I felt her heartbeat against my cheek, her chest rise and fall every time she took a breath and eventually, I managed to copy it, following her breathing. 

Throughout the whole process, Scarlett encouraged me with praises and slowly I started coming back to my senses. Once my breathing was normal again, I could feel a wave of relief wash over me and I broke down in tears once again. Scarlett pulled me even closer kissing my forehead. My emotions were too messed up to blush in embarrassment at the moment, so I just enjoyed the simple act of her trying to calm me down. 

"I- I didn't k-know what t-to do", I hiccupped, my voice hoarse. "S-suddenly- I was s-so s-scared", I tried to explain how I felt but I couldn't even form a proper sentence. She shushed me letting me rest against her as my hiccups slowly faded away. And then this one question, this one question I was afraid of. "Mila, what happened?"

Scarlett's POV:

I kept my voice soft butstern as I observed her reaction. Slowly stroking her hair, I waited for ananswer. it took her a while before I could hear a faint mumble: "My auntwants me to catch a bus home". I could feel anger bubbling up inside of me,but I forced myself to stay calm. 

"I'm fed up. I almost felt guilty I haven'ttexted where I was going and then she tells me she's in a club with her friend.I'm not even sure if I had agreed to an exchange year if I couldn't live withmy aunt. I wanted to live with her because she isn't a stranger and that madeher feel safe. I wanna go home.", the girl sobbed in my shoulder, and Icaressed her back, giving her time to let it all out. 

"I didn't even- whydoes she forget me every fucking time! it's like I'm not even there. I'm tiredof being left alone at unknown places.", I felt my heart break for her. I can'timagine how hard it must be for her, feeling like she doesn't matter to heraunt. I started rocking her in my arms trying to get her to calm down. "it'sokay sweetheart, I'm here. you aren't alone", I tried to reassure her, butI knew there was no point. 

Mila stopped sobbing and pulled away from the hug,her eyes redden from the crying. "Well guess I'll go home now...",the girls face was indifferent, but I could see how upset she was just lookingin her eyes. One could believe she had no problem with taking the bus home,which made me wonder how many times she had played her feelings off already,but I knew better. 

"I will not let you go home alone.", I answeredfirmly, but apparently that was the wrong thing to say because she immediatelysnapped back. "Why would you care?! Not even my aunt cares if or how Icome home. my own family. why would some random actress give a shit about mywellbeing." I don't want to admit it but her calling me 'some randomactress' hurt. I didn't know why... I mean it's true, to her I'm probably justsome random actress, but I had grown fond of her and regardless of how weirdthis may sound I cared for her. 

Taking a deep breath, I spoke firmly:"look, I know you're having a hard time with this whole situation, andyes, it's really messed up, but that doesn't mean you have to take your angerout on me. Pushing me away won't help you either. I care about you, and rightnow it doesn't matter if your aunt does or not. I'm here and I'll get you home safelyand then we'll figure something out."

I knew better than to take theteens words to heart, she was disappointed in her aunt and felt miserable notto mention all those hormones that age. I looked at the girl sternly and sawher expression change into one of regret and shame, her eyes already tearing upagain. I slowly took a step closer and spoke again: "I know how you feel, Ijust want to help sweetheart.", Mila looked up at me her blue eyes filledwith tears, which made me want to pull her into me and never let go, but I heldback giving her space. 

"I'm sorry Scarlett, you did so much for me and I-,I'm so ungrateful, I shouldn't have said that. you were nothing but kind to meand I- I'm so sorry", the girl sobbed, and I smiled warmly at her. Iopened my arms, and the girl immediately hugged me back. "Shhhh itsalright... I know you didn't mean it. But still...". The girl nodded andapologized again. "We'll figure this out... together."