Mass Effect - Struggling

Jane was a Romantic.

She'd preach that whenever she caught your gaze, she could hear angels sing. She looks at you and her heart soars but there was so much more to it -a warmth, a sense of belonging and comfort. With her hand in yours, she can feel the love and compassion you both share.

Maybe it was the alcohol in her system but when she caught your adoring gaze, she couldn't control herself. Her fingers tangled in your hair, twisting, caressing, as if you were a work of priceless art. She leans in, her breath fanning across your face as her lips press against yours and she feels weightless.

She sighs softly as you pull her atop your lap and her heart flutters with the way your lips fit together as if she'd spent eternity pressed against you.

You pull away for a breath but Jane dives back in, catching you lips as a hand falls to your shoulder and yours squeeze her hips. You smirk and pull away once again,

"Eager, huh?"

She rolled her eyes as she caught her breath, "I'd like to make a witty remark but i'd rather have incredibly soft, intimate sex with you right now."

You didn't find a vocal response reasonable, finding it easier to reciprocate and press you lips back against hers.

The paperwork seemed to be harder than attending the ceremony itself. It was hard to sign the documents confirming your passing, solidifying your death. Jane thought if she didn't sign them, maybe then it wouldn't be true. The thought of her delusion brought her comfort but she knew this was real. Otherwise those memories she had with you, those tears, those laughs, the nights spent admiring the stars, would not have been real.

And she couldn't handle that.

She had pursed her lips and grit her teeth, soldiering through phone calls and letter, responding to emails and sending everything away but the death certificate still needed a final signature.

She ran her hand down her face, closing her eyes. The last time she really slept was the night after the ceremony. She cried herself to sleep, her exhaustion proving too much for her. It had been a few weeks since.

The crew had done their damndest to help, taking care of the Normandy and taking charge of anything new that popped up but, how do you console a woman who'd just lost everything?

Liara tried a soft approach, trying to offer sympathy and understanding which did nothing, while Wrex tried tough love which resulted in him being admitted to the med bay. Hell, Jack even showed up for her, but the two sat in silence, neither knowing what to say to the other but not pushing either away.

Anderson would have known what to say.

Jane turned in her chair to look at the office, messy with empty alcohol bottles and takeaway containers. She chewed the inside of her lip before she sighed and sank into the chair. She was never any good at taking care of herself. She could survive, but she had no idea how to live. It was your job to show her that...

The sound of birds chirping woke you up. Blinking slowly you took in the soft glow in the room, before turning your head to the soft snoring beside you. You can't help the small smile that overtakes you as you look at your newly wed wife sleeping soundly.

You gently ran a finger across her shoulder, whispering softly, "Baby..."

After a few moments she stirred and took a deep breath before opening her eyes, her gaze landing on you immediately where a smile overtook her features.

"You look beautiful." You said softly.

Jane leaned in for a kiss, one you both fell into before she pulled away. "And you're irresistible."