4 | What Is Happening NOW? A Timeline

[October 7th, 2023]

HAMAS launches a surprise attack early Saturday morning, breaching the Gaza-Israel barrier into southern Israel. The attack began with a rocket barrage of 3000 rockets against Israel. Over 1,400 Israelis were killed in several towns, Netiv HaAsara, Be'eri, Kfar Aza, Nir Oz, and Holit in addition to the Supernova Sukkot Gathering, an open-air psychedlic trance music festival, celebrating the Jewish holiday of Sukkot. The festival occurred near kibbutz Re'im, approximately three miles from the Gaza-Israel barrier. Over 220 people are reported to have been taken hostage to Gaza by Hamas, their whereabouts unknown. (Source, CNN World News)

[October 7th, 2023]

Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip begin in response to the Hamas attack. At least 232 Palestinians are killed. Israel's Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu tells Gaza residents to "leave now" stating that Israel's forces will turn all "Hamas hideouts into rubble." Be reminded that the citizens of the Gaza Strip live under Israeli blockade and do not have freedom of movement. The airstrikes continue into the early hours of Sunday, October 8th. (source, Al Jazeera news)

[October 9, 2023]

More 100,000 People have been displaced in Gaza. According to the UN Office for The Coordination of Humanitarian affairs, many forced to flee took shelter in some 64 schools along the Gaza coast. A total of 159 Housing units are destroyed, 1,210 have suffered severe damage. Israeli forces continue to enact airstrikes on Gaza after the country's security cabinet formally declares war on Hamas. (source, Al Jazeera news)

A missile explodes in Gaza City during an Israeli air strike on October 8, 2023

A missile explodes in Gaza City during an Israeli air strike on October 8, 2023. Mahmud Hams/AFP.

[October 10, 2023] 

Israel has bombed more than 200 locations in the Gaza Strip. The death toll in Gaza rises to 704 dead, 4,000 wounded. Separate demonstrations in support of both Palestine and Israel take place worldwide. (source, Al Jazeera news)

[October 11, 2023]

Day 5 of the airstrikes on Gaza. Israel's energy minister says no electricity, fuel, or humanitarian aid will be allowed into Gaza until Hamas releases the hostages. The sole power plant has run out of fuel, and the majority of the Gaza Strip is without power, save for establishments with power generators, such as hospitals. (source, Al Jazeera news) 

[October 12, 2023]

Israel claims to have dropped 6,000 bombs on the Gaza strip. Death toll in Palestine climbs to 1,400. In terms of displacement, 338,000 Palestinians flee their homes to take shelter amidst the bombardment of attacks. Israel controls the majority of Palestinian resources, thus the reduction in water supplies result in dire shortages for more than 650,000 people. Destroyed sewage systems pose a health hazard as fetid water leaks into the streets. 

Occupations in the West Bank also escalate as Israel imposes a lockdown, and more Palestinian casualties occur. (source, Al Jazeera news)

[October 17, 2023]

Israeli Defense Forces order residents of North Gaza to evacuate their homes and head South, toward the Rafah Crossing on the Gaza-Egypt border, though bombardments hit an entry gate on the Palestinian side of the crossing. (source, NDTV World News)

[October 18, 2023] 

An Israeli airstrike kills over 500 Palestinians at Al-Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza City, according to Gaza's health ministry. It is the deadliest attack on a hospital in decades. (Source, Al Jazeera news)

**For the sake of spreading awareness as efficiently as possible, I'm going to skip to the most current happenings, as of today, Sunday, October 29, 2023, and this past weekend**

[October 29, 2023]

The death toll among Palestinians raises to over 8,000 persons, with the majority being women and children. Over the weekend, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announces a "second stage" as tanks and foot-soldiers march into Gaza. This weekend's attacks were described by Gaza residents as the most intense of the three-week war, as it destroyed Gaza's last internet cable, thus barring them from contact with the rest of the world. 

Israel has imposed a total siege on the Palestinian enclave of 2.3 million people, disallowing food, water, and electricity. Efforts are currently underway to provide aid to the Palestinians in the enclave. (source, Al Jazeera news)